To rebuild or replace that is the question >

To rebuild or replace that is the question

Notices

To rebuild or replace that is the question

Old 03-31-2016, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skate
Patience Grasshopper. If some one can provide me with the double top secret Mercury Racing Dyno sheet for the 400Rs I'm ready to calculate out the torque vs surface area of the three screaming memes versus the two roaring tigers with the "Club Foot lower unit"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553289[/ATTACH]

Then again I may just get my kids to do the calculations.
Your "kids" would never touch that relic of a calculator! You take me back to my college structures classes!! Do you keep old **** like that? Maybe you should mount it in your dash as a ultra cool GPS! I bet it will plug right into the 400R.....when you get them!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:53 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Twin 400r's with fluids (motors only) 1368lbs
Triple 300x's 1440lbs (motors only)
Also 1extra trim pump and battery.

975hp vs 800hp.
3ea smaller lower units vs 2ea club foots.

boat for boat IMO I think the triple 300x set up will eat a 400r package for lunch. I can't imagine as hard as my boat pulls now what it would be like with a 3rd motor. Or maybe I can

Guess we all need to go for a ride in Steve's boat LOL!!!!

Gotta love this stuff
You're right Ron, Everybody is invited. We'll have to figure out a date. We can take turns going out for two man rides. It would be a fun weekend or its better here during the week. Have a pool and a couple yamaha wave runners. What do you think? Im pretty sure by the way that after discussing my set up situation with a few qualified people I will easily see 120mph when all is said and done over here in the salt and in discussing it with Dave Dewald. He's been working on some things for me for a few months now. Probably call him next week. I definitely gained something from the salt alone in my opinion although no top end comparable conditions like out at Merc. Im not messing around with Setback or lowers til next season so it will have to wait but we will see. Let me know about the visit thing. Lets put Sam and Ron in charge.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by skate
Well we've discussed this at length and I agree, but I've kind of been trained to look at numbers and crap like that. I can't find the Torque/HP curve for the 400R anywhere. But with super chargers it's got to make some serious torque and torque makes boats fly. When Pete was in Steve's boat for the dial in he said it pulled hard like a bigger I/O boats. So we know 114 vs 120+ In top speed is given so far but in the mid range where I live what will the difference be? Will heavier more powerful triple 300X or XS with three lower units in the water pull away or will it be even in the 50 to 100 range? I bet there will be very little difference and the 400Rs may surprise you in mid range. I know my old 338 is heavy as a tank but is stupid quick the with big torque the super charger produces.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553284[/ATTACH]

Courtesy DBR

Does anyone have this info for the 400R??
I have not seen any dyno results for the 400R, but... I would like to make a reasonable comparison to two stroke racing dirt bikes to 4 stroke bikes - be it they are different displacements, but the results support the 400r's reported midrange power. I spent most of my life with a leg over motocross bikes and ridden both 2 and 4 stroke bikes and know their strengths and limitations intimately. Check out these graphs of dyno runs, back to back on the same dyno from a motorcycle magazine test. Amazing what a 4 stroke can produce over a very wide RPM band. A supercharged engine will just magnify the power band width.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]553338[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553339[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails To rebuild or replace that is the question-yz125_250f_hp_comparro%5B1%5D.jpg   To rebuild or replace that is the question-yz125_250f_torque_comparro%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 04-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

David
I do not think the graphs are the same. One is for torque and the other for power?
If what you say is true and I do not doubt regarding the bikes a 300hp xs with out run a 300 verado any day of the week.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Registered

Yes they are different. One is torque and one is HP,comparing a Yamaha YZ125 (blue line) to a Yamaha 250F ( Yellow line). A 125 - 2 stroke will keep up with a 250 -4 in good conditions. Add up hills, sand, etc. and the torque of the 4 will blast away! In a bike with gears, you shift less with the 4 because of the wide torque band, corner to corner and on starts. HP is HP and weight is weight as we all have been preaching! The midrange punch of the 400's should be stunning though! Top end not so much in my opinion. If they (400's) were lightweight, they would by on my 28 however. I think that is why the work so well on CC's. Back in 1997 when Doug Henry won the AMA outdoor MX title on a prototype 400 cc Yamaha four stroke against a field of 250 -2 strokes, it was approx. 250# bike with 40HP against 230#, 50 HP 2 -strokes. Ten years later the are 450cc, 230# and 50+ HP and reliable as hell! Maybe, with some R&D, the big boys will make a lightweight, high HP four. I know it can be done.

Last edited by Taboma; 04-01-2016 at 02:29 PM.