Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
New Skater under construction >

New Skater under construction

Notices

New Skater under construction

Old 02-01-2018, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

Those fins help keep spray off the inboard side prop in a turn, it's something DW has been doing for a while. Grant incorporated them on Matt's 368 and it looks like they have followed suit on this build. Also looks like they have made a change to the notch in the transom as well. Ron, correct me if I'm wrong please.

Is there any changes to the dash or interior area?

Can't wait to see the finished product! Best of luck!!
Old 02-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by mlb75
It looks like those "fins" are extensions of the tunnel to prevent pressure blowout from the tunnel in the final step (mind has gone blank for it's proper name) I've thought about that for quite awhile. Is that what they're trying and if so have they done it before or are you a test case?
Those "fins" are referred to as "air traps", as they keep the air that is compressed in the tunnel "trapped" after the transom ends at the notch (which is 18" forward of the transom on a 308). They have been putting air traps on air entrapment hulls (tunnels and hydros) for as long as they've been around, they are nothing new. You don't typically see them on pleasure boats, as they are somewhat fragile and vulnerable to damage - the manufacturers don't want customers coming back for warranty work constantly. Plus, on boats without a notched transom, there is no need/place for them - unless you have a tunnel extension. My inboard 30 was built with these "air traps" built onto the tunnel extension of my 30 back in 2005 - and still has a portion of them after the conversion to an outboard setup. For guys wanting the most out of the performance of their rigs, the manufacturers will do things that are out of the "norm".
Old 02-01-2018, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ktron
Those fins help keep spray off the inboard side prop in a turn, it's something DW has been doing for a while. Grant incorporated them on Matt's 368 and it looks like they have followed suit on this build. Also looks like they have made a change to the notch in the transom as well. Ron, correct me if I'm wrong please.

Is there any changes to the dash or interior area?

Can't wait to see the finished product! Best of luck!!
That's funny Daren, we each have a different answer to these "fins". I don't doubt that what you are describing is an additional benefit from the fins, but I know for fact that they are also there to trap the air in the tunnel longer for more lift. My Kurtis 501 hydro has them under it also - they run about 3' past the sponson trailing edges to keep the air trapped between the sponsons longer for more lift.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything Dale said and just trying to make a good showing and keep up with all you guys!!!!!!! LOL
Old 02-01-2018, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

It's great to see the constant improvements made. The competitiveness and strive for better, efficient designs is so fun to watch!
Old 02-01-2018, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree it is always fun to strive for that last MPH! I truly enjoy working on these boats and set up myself.
It’s time to figure out some new stuff with 400r’s. Anyone can buy props!
Old 02-04-2018, 06:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I recieved “the Call”. It is complete, I heard Pete himself worked on it 2 days to finish it up. Headed out tomorrow to pick it up. Then off to PPI for lightweight interior.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Fantastic!!! We saw your badass new ride when we were there in mid December. I can't wait to see it completed. Safe travels
Old 02-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Zero Patience
I recieved “the Call”. It is complete, I heard Pete himself worked on it 2 days to finish it up. Headed out tomorrow to pick it up. Then off to PPI for lightweight interior.
Hey Jim, don't forget we need pics of it leaving Skater today!
Old 02-05-2018, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero Patience
hopefully the roads clear up a bit for you. snow and salt covered here currently.

also.. WE NEED PICTURES!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.