Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
Skater 318 powerhead replacement, Old one bad since delivery. >

Skater 318 powerhead replacement, Old one bad since delivery.

Notices

Skater 318 powerhead replacement, Old one bad since delivery.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Patience is one thing but either you are slotted or not.
I always told my employees, DO NOT commit if you can't deliver because all they will do is give a good client reason to go elsewhere.

Are you replacing a power head complete or just short block??? (cause it doesn't take 2 1/2 days to build a complete o/b)

After all of this, you deserve a few years uninterrupted running.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:37 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Patience is one thing but either you are slotted or not.
I always told my employees, DO NOT commit if you can't deliver because all they will do is give a good client reason to go elsewhere.

Are you replacing a power head complete or just short block??? (cause it doesn't take 2 1/2 days to build a complete o/b)

After all of this, you deserve a few years uninterrupted running.

Yea Im replacing a new complete powerhead from Merc Racing. They have to swap all the old hardware over to the new complete block And now I'm told the person who was out on Monday unexpected to me was also out today again woof. I think they are over burdened and they are sliding people in front of me. I know its not an easy thing to do especially with my rig on a trailer and the power head up about 8 to 10 ft in the air. Last season they got 3 lower unit warrantee jobs and now a full powerhead replacement which is a lot of business off my rig. Not as much as retail jobs I know. Ive bought two boats thru them and sold one I didn't have to but I did because I wanted to be taken care of. Its still the beginning of the season so ill be in just as the summer starts. Im starting to feel like I may be lucky. Who knows. Like I said the guys are swamped there and I feel bad for them but I've been pushed back three times between this week and last. Im tired as Im sure they are of seeing me pull up out front. Ha. From diagnosis until getting back in the water will be a little over 3 weeks which isn't bad I don't think given the problem so Im trying to leave them alone but its not in my nature to be passive with stuff like this. And So I Wait More.

Last edited by Nastybug; 06-22-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Well Steve I blew a power head on a Wednesday at LOTO Shootout right after I got the 400Rs. John Tomlison sent me to Performance Boat Center Thursday morning and as busy as they were they got me in and diagnosed the issue. Mercury was informed Thursday and had the powerhead at my local dealer in Arkansas on Monday morning. My guys at H2O Watersportz had me on my way to the lake on Thursday of that week. I can’t say enough about the positive experience and support from JT, Myric, Mike Griffiths and my great mechanics at home Mike and Larry. I wish you the best.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:08 AM
VIP Member

Yea Sam, I remember you telling me that. Despite my discontent they do good work. My marina has gotten extremely busy from new boat sales they didnt have much of a year or so ago and i dont think there is enough staff to keep all the customers happy. The marina definitely isnt like Johnny T's place im sure. Options are very limited by me for what I need. I do have my eyes working tho. Its a very close marina to my house too. So its convenient.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like some green backs need to roll in and fly around!
Old 06-21-2018, 01:33 PM
Registered

Guys at Coty are awesome and yes, lately....extremely busy. Been going to Danny for a while as he knows his **** and is a standup guy.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:05 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by NJPower
Guys at Coty are awesome and yes, lately....extremely busy. Been going to Danny for a while as he knows his **** and is a standup guy.
Yea NJP for sure Danny is awesome and definitely knows his stuff. Have you had to have any work done lately or have you been a lucky one who escaped. I don't think there is anybody Ive met there that isn't top notch. Ive been a customer/client since 1999. haven't been anywhere else. He's been working on my rig since I got it. I took delivery of my current rig the year he started. He's not doing the powerhead swap. Like I said the guys there are totally swamped. Each year it seems to get worse. when I stop over there I can see how worn out everyone is. you'd think it would break a bit by now but they have no time for anything. Given the situation they are in 3 plus weeks doesn't seem that bad when I stop and think about it but Ive been pushed back 3 times and it gets frustrating after a while. Anyway now its gonna be done maybe Saturday but I think Ill see it on the beginning of next week. It pretty much got started with a full day today other than the investigative work Danny did when he pulled what he needed apart to find a whole boat load of problems no pun intended. So Ive been staying away as Im sure they're fairly tired of me. Along with a crappy Spring that set them back, A ton of new boat preps and service on them hasn't helped. It sure would be nice if they got some relief. Steve.

Last edited by Nastybug; 06-22-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:36 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Sounds like some green backs need to roll in and fly around!
Hey Ron, Yea Im not bashful when it comes to that but I think it would definitely be obnoxious for me to go in there right now and throw around a couple hundred bucks to get what I want. There just isn't anywhere to go. If there were I truly believe Id be taken care of and done already. As I said before they have been very good to me over the years. Slipping me in when they have a line of service. Danny and Rick are good that way. Funny when it works the other way. Im sure the new boat sales take precedent. The new Monterays are nice boats and a pretty penny. If I paid a 150 grand for a new boat and it was sitting on the lot Id want it tomorrow. Ha. So we all have to get along. Im sure If you came in now for work there would be a 3 week wait.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nastybug
Well Guys Same ole story. I was hoping that come monday I would see some work being done on my starboard motor but that was not the case. A day off was involved so I was told absolutely on Tuesday. Well of course Tuesday came and I went by and work was still being done on the previous boat but I get it things come up. So definitely after that all afternoon. Woof I went back this afternoon to check and although I was told oh yea its definitely being worked the motor looked exactly the same as it did when I was by at 1030am. So now Im praying that it starts tomorrow. Im being told it could be done by Thursday but Im not seeing it. So if it is Thursday and it was worked on today I guess it takes 2 and a half days to swap a powerhead out. Im not a mechanic so I shouldn't throw stones but I just done see close to 17 hrs to do the job. I guess they're very busy. Ive been out of commission since the Before the 1st of the month. Guess you always lose your place in line. I don't think Ill have it by Saturday.
I feel your pain...I'm into my 3rd year of this. built 4 engines to get 2 that, with luck will get wet beginning of next week.
All the best to you!
Old 06-22-2018, 07:32 PM
VIP Member

Thanx Much Pete, Now that its getting close Im not so stressed out anymore. No contact today but like I said Im gonna leave them alone for a while. I know they're working at 110% capacity. My rig got a full detail inside and out yesterday and they have been keeping it inside shop for last 3 weeks which is nice of them. Like I said Im getting where they are coming from and they do have great talent so I know its getting done right. Ive watched several 400R sport cat videos and all their motors are running within 50 rpm of each other at top end not 300 plus rpm difference like mine were. When I went thru 3 lowers last season and then this powerhead situation Mercury asked to have my props shipped to them to examine for possible contributing problems/vibrations and such. They actually balanced them for me after my original purchase which I thought was very nice and it should help things run even better than Im expecting I hope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.