Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Sonic (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sonic-46/)
-   -   Anyone ever made a glove box out of the passenger dash panel? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sonic/100826-anyone-ever-made-glove-box-out-passenger-dash-panel.html)

East Coast B 04-16-2005 02:42 PM

Anyone ever made a glove box out of the passenger dash panel?

I just removed the dash panel on the passenger side of my 31ss and found that there's a lot of room in there and already partially carpeted. Figure if I close off the left side that is open to the water tank and put a glove box or hatch on the dash panel, there's extra storage to be had. Anyone ever do this? What type of entry door did you use? I'm going to go with a 3/8" thick white plastic panel and use the same when I redo the dash, basically same material as the cabin door.

Also, the grey carpet that Sonic uses in the storage compartments, where do you find it and what do you use to glue it in place?

NJSONIC 04-16-2005 03:02 PM

Re: Anyone ever made a glove box out of the passenger dash panel?

East Coast,
I would use 3M spray adhesive to secure the carpet. I will be at Sonic on Monday to do the final inspection of our new boat. I will ask them about the carpet.
Tom

East Coast B 04-16-2005 03:32 PM

NJSonic... I'd appreciate that! They don't seem to be good at getting back to people. If I could ask one more favor while your down there... Could you get the color and manufacturer name of the gel coat used on a 94 31ss? I'm going to be taking it in for gel work and they said they need to know this information to match it properly.

Appreciate your time!

sonic28 04-16-2005 07:15 PM

eastcoast
im sure when njsonic is there.all the will tell them it's a standard white even though there are many whites.last year i needed some for repair of my 91 sonic and they stated it was standard white. i asked if they could ship me a gallon they said law prohibits them from shipping gel coat.make a long story short i contacted a friend that works in lauderdale and asked him to go get me a gallon at the factory he did better than that and got me two. you can have the one left over i don't know how good it is but its been in the refrig for a year. its yours just pm me your address i can ship it ups very carefully.
paul

East Coast B 04-17-2005 06:06 AM

Sonic28, Thanks for your offer! Is there a shelf life date on the can by any chance?

sonic28 04-17-2005 07:01 AM

i have no idea they pour it out of a 55 gallon drum.also note my fiberglass guy told me after all i went trew to get the gel coat .that he still had to tint it to match. so if you have a good guy he should be able to use any white gelcoat and tint it.the fact is white does fade even after one year.let me know if you want the gel .
good luck paul

NJSONIC 04-17-2005 07:44 AM

The gel coat that they used on our 2001 358 was Lilly White.
I will get the correct color for you.
Tom

NJSONIC 04-18-2005 08:40 PM

East Coast B
I hope Bruce was helpful today. I gave him your requests and I know Ann gave him the extra requests.
Tom

East Coast B 04-19-2005 04:11 AM

Thanks NJSonic! Bruce was extremely helpful! I called down specifically for info on if these boats HAVE waste holding tanks or not. Heard that they put them in all the boats, even if they weren't installing pump outs. Well, according to Bruce, after a certain year, this is true, however on the 94, it isn't. Anyway, after talking with Bruce about the issue, he stated that they have tanks fabricated for retrofits on the 31! So I put my order in and tapped him for a few more questions!

Heading to the Kent Island boat show on Sunday, hoping to look at some of the sonic rigging for ideas. Already hooked up a deal with a frig dealer to buy their display model at the end of the show. Going with the recessed model, will have to open up the cutout just a fraction more to fit it in.

Got the passenger dash in the works, just have to figure out what kind of access panel/door to use, want to put in a power outlet or two for the cell phone and spot light. Looking at the main dash, that sure will be fun replacing that one. That will be a winter project along with the gelcoat work.

NJSONIC 04-19-2005 06:11 PM

Glad to be of help. I'll be back down at Sonic to pick our boat up on May 16th. :evilb: If you need anything else. Let me know.
Tom