Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Sonic (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sonic-46/)
-   -   Rocket Trailer Brakes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sonic/204751-rocket-trailer-brakes.html)

Plum_Crazy 03-12-2009 01:12 PM

Rocket Trailer Brakes

I know a lot of Sonics came on Rocket trailers, so I'm hoping someone can answer this. My tri-axle Rocket trailer has surge brakes. They shudder pretty bad when I'm nearing a stop like they're catching and releasing. I've had some people tell me this is normal and others tell me something is wrong. Which is it?

hp500efi 03-12-2009 04:37 PM

I more than likely have the same trailer as you and mine do not do that. I had to bleed my brakes a few years ago and re-adjust them. Brakes on first and second axle.

GO4BROKE 03-12-2009 06:00 PM

It's not normal. You may have leaking wheel cylinders, air in the system, or badly warped drums. I'm in the middle of doing mine. New bearings,seals,shoes and turning the drums. Make sure all your fasteners are tight also.

Plum_Crazy 03-12-2009 07:32 PM

Great, I'll have to dig into them and see what's up. GO4BROKE, did you have to go to Rocket for the replacement parts?

HP500EFI, what is the proper way to adjust them? I've never done drum brakes before, only disc.

upstate31sonic 03-12-2009 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy (Post 2820039)
Great, I'll have to dig into them and see what's up. GO4BROKE, did you have to go to Rocket for the replacement parts?

HP500EFI, what is the proper way to adjust them? I've never done drum brakes before, only disc.

When I came home with my Rocket in the fall of 02.....after I had to turn around go back to Hollywood for repairs on my new trailer...It came with disc brakes.. One of there ace mechanics forgot to put the anchor pins in one of the calibers..Made for a nice mess and made me feel nice and safe for the trip back to New York :drink:

GO4BROKE 03-12-2009 11:02 PM

www.trailerpartsdepot.com
Mine has 12" titan brakes. Yours may have 10" drums or 12.
I used the rocket website to help figure out which parts I had.

You adjust by turning the star wheel at the bottem between the shoes until you hear a slight hiss or drag when turning the installed drum.

hp500efi 03-13-2009 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE (Post 2820209)
www.trailerpartsdepot.com

You adjust by turning the star wheel at the bottem between the shoes until you hear a slight hiss or drag when turning the installed drum.

G4B is correct. Locate the rubber grommet on the inside of the drum assembly (you will need to get under the boat trailer) remove this grommet and you will see this star adjusted inside. Take a screwdriver and adjust as needed.

GO4BROKE 03-14-2009 07:18 AM

Anyone using a reverse lock out for their brakes? My brakes didn't work last year. I have to back up a short semi steep hill into my garage. Their is supposed to be 20% braking in reverse. I have been considering installing a manual or electric lock out valve to shut down the braking.

upstate31sonic 03-14-2009 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE (Post 2820988)
Anyone using a reverse lock out for their brakes? My brakes didn't work last year. I have to back up a short semi steep hill into my garage. Their is supposed to be 20% braking in reverse. I have been considering installing a manual or electric lock out valve to shut down the braking.

Chris
I had it on my trailer. I have the some thing going on when I back my boat up into my garage as you do.The issue with the lock out is if you come to a stop and put the truck into reverse without letting the surge set up extend you lock the brakes on any how.So I came up with away to manually lock out the brakes before I head down into my back yard to the garage.I have read about a surge setup that instead of locking or blocking off the break line the solenoid dumps the flued back into the master cylinder.I have never talked to anyone that has that set up to see how well it works. I was going to try and change my trailer over to that but have not had the time..:drink:

CustomRigger101 03-14-2009 08:13 AM

Ive sold alot of rocket trailers in the past.. if they haven't changed they are Kodiak Brakes