Rocket Trailer Brakes >

Rocket Trailer Brakes

Notices

Rocket Trailer Brakes

Old 03-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rocket Trailer Brakes

I know a lot of Sonics came on Rocket trailers, so I'm hoping someone can answer this. My tri-axle Rocket trailer has surge brakes. They shudder pretty bad when I'm nearing a stop like they're catching and releasing. I've had some people tell me this is normal and others tell me something is wrong. Which is it?

Last edited by Plum_Crazy; 03-12-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I more than likely have the same trailer as you and mine do not do that. I had to bleed my brakes a few years ago and re-adjust them. Brakes on first and second axle.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not normal. You may have leaking wheel cylinders, air in the system, or badly warped drums. I'm in the middle of doing mine. New bearings,seals,shoes and turning the drums. Make sure all your fasteners are tight also.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Great, I'll have to dig into them and see what's up. GO4BROKE, did you have to go to Rocket for the replacement parts?

HP500EFI, what is the proper way to adjust them? I've never done drum brakes before, only disc.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
Great, I'll have to dig into them and see what's up. GO4BROKE, did you have to go to Rocket for the replacement parts?

HP500EFI, what is the proper way to adjust them? I've never done drum brakes before, only disc.
When I came home with my Rocket in the fall of 02.....after I had to turn around go back to Hollywood for repairs on my new trailer...It came with disc brakes.. One of there ace mechanics forgot to put the anchor pins in one of the calibers..Made for a nice mess and made me feel nice and safe for the trip back to New York
Old 03-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

www.trailerpartsdepot.com
Mine has 12" titan brakes. Yours may have 10" drums or 12.
I used the rocket website to help figure out which parts I had.

You adjust by turning the star wheel at the bottem between the shoes until you hear a slight hiss or drag when turning the installed drum.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:09 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
www.trailerpartsdepot.com

You adjust by turning the star wheel at the bottem between the shoes until you hear a slight hiss or drag when turning the installed drum.
G4B is correct. Locate the rubber grommet on the inside of the drum assembly (you will need to get under the boat trailer) remove this grommet and you will see this star adjusted inside. Take a screwdriver and adjust as needed.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Anyone using a reverse lock out for their brakes? My brakes didn't work last year. I have to back up a short semi steep hill into my garage. Their is supposed to be 20% braking in reverse. I have been considering installing a manual or electric lock out valve to shut down the braking.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
Anyone using a reverse lock out for their brakes? My brakes didn't work last year. I have to back up a short semi steep hill into my garage. Their is supposed to be 20% braking in reverse. I have been considering installing a manual or electric lock out valve to shut down the braking.
Chris
I had it on my trailer. I have the some thing going on when I back my boat up into my garage as you do.The issue with the lock out is if you come to a stop and put the truck into reverse without letting the surge set up extend you lock the brakes on any how.So I came up with away to manually lock out the brakes before I head down into my back yard to the garage.I have read about a surge setup that instead of locking or blocking off the break line the solenoid dumps the flued back into the master cylinder.I have never talked to anyone that has that set up to see how well it works. I was going to try and change my trailer over to that but have not had the time..
Old 03-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Registered

Ive sold alot of rocket trailers in the past.. if they haven't changed they are Kodiak Brakes

Quick Reply: Rocket Trailer Brakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.