Spring tune up on bilge pumps

Notices

Spring tune up on bilge pumps

Old 04-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring tune up on bilge pumps

Maybe someone has had to deal with this before..Just doing a little work on the twins and I thought it would be a good time to get to the pumps. The issue I was having was when I would turn the auto bilge switch on that pump would keep running. Would not do it all the time. Does anyone have any idea what side is the auto side or the easiest way to tell without pulling them both out or maybe I better just put a battery back in the boat . I may have to just stand on my head and see if I can read the side of them
Attached Thumbnails Spring tune up on bilge pumps-dsc00883.jpg   Spring tune up on bilge pumps-dsc00960.jpg  
Old 04-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Wow, pulling the heads to do bilge pumps is taking it a little too far!
I think you're going to have to hook the batteries back up.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
Wow, pulling the heads to do bilge pumps is taking it a little too far!
I think you're going to have to hook the batteries back up.
He's just working his way to the bottom of the bilge one part at a time. Bob you should've just pulled the whole engine then you would only have to lie side ways to tell and not have to stand on your head.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Registered

By the way I'm still trying to figure out how to get to mine as well. Standing on my head twisted like a pretzel and still can barely touch it, much less actually do anything to it. Mine tends to stay on at a vry low rpm, diffinte difference when I hit the switch. Temporary fix pull the fuse and install it on an as needed basis. Yes Pete I know so don't give me any crap
Old 04-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Hot Stepper
He's just working his way to the bottom of the bilge one part at a time. Bob you should've just pulled the whole engine then you would only have to lie side ways to tell and not have to stand on your head.
Yeah Bob, maybe you should pull one of them out for access. You're practically there anyways. And which ever you choose to pull, you can be sure the pump you need will be on the other side!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Hot Stepper
Look whos talking!!! The guy that takes things apart just to see how they work...never having to worry about putting it back together
Old 04-06-2009, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soiunds to me that something is jamming the pump switch
Old 04-06-2009, 07:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by upstate31sonic
Look whos talking!!! The guy that takes things apart just to see how they work...never having to worry about putting it back together
Yeah some off us get to have all of the fun, just added the new mini cooper DI turbo and the VW VR6 to the list Next up on the chopping block a couple of Toyota Transmissions and possibly a couple of complete cars. Yup my job kind of gives new meaning to no assembly required making instructions worthless.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

sounds like a bad float switch...if I remember right the power wire to the float switch is usually brown. given the fact that good bilge pumps can suddenly become the most important piece of equipment on the boat, and the fact that they are cheap...I would replace the pumps and float switches just for peice of mind.