Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sonic
What year boat, motors, drives and whats your average yearly maintenance repairs >

What year boat, motors, drives and whats your average yearly maintenance repairs

Notices

What year boat, motors, drives and whats your average yearly maintenance repairs

Old 01-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there's a big difference here between "maintenance," "repairs," and "upgrades." My boat is an '85. I have owned it for four summers, and I have spent a total of 0 dollars on my boat outside of plugs, oil, filters, fluids, batteries, and sea pump impellers. This summer I may change both motors, rebuild both motors, or I may just upgrade them. It's due for plug wires, distributors, and a valve job and springs, but I think I'm going to go further than that.

I will probably spend $5-10K this summer on my motors, but all but about $500 of it for the things I know that actually need to replace is voluntary. There is no doubt in my mind that my boat would make it through another trouble free summer, but I want to get it into the 75+mph range.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with the difference between maintenance, repairs, and upgrades. As you will see I backed out upgrades on my first post. You are extremely lucky to have an 85 model boat and it not require any fixes. 80% of my number was "this is broke and I can't get back on the water until it's fixed" kind of things. Although I will say I had a small 19ft Baka before this boat and I never sunk a dime in it either. When you get twin engines and start going faster more things break.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From all the boats Ive owned the one you have will be the best. First, you now know everything about what has and has not been worked on and how it was repaired or replaced. Second, faster just means more maintenance and repairs. Third, bigger is not always better. If you don't need to have a larger boat just find yourself wanting one don't do it. And on top of all the 31 is the best all around boat. Roomy, accomodating, not the fastest but will outrun them in the rough (just ask 30SS winner of the Long Island Race last year).

I also keep records of what was spent and for what. It does hurt to look at sometimes but good for when it is time to sell or trade. with triple 500's most of my expenses have been maintenance and upgrades and FUEL . I have had to rebuild a couple drives.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered

Yeh, we want to be able to make the Bahamas runs someday and everyone that has done it has told me they wouldn't do it in anything less than a 35. IMO any time you upgrade boat sizes it is a want not a need. We work hard to play hard, and take on big responsibilities to own big toys...right?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:10 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always used $500-700 per foot per year as a guide. Thats maint, fuel, insurance, storage etc.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Registered

Thanks dolla....