Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Sonic (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sonic-46/)
-   -   Speed and set up? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sonic/281533-speed-set-up.html)

HEDGEHOGER 08-09-2012 08:51 PM

1990 30ss 2x450 hp(jacked up 454s) 73mph gps 5800 rmps

hanzcap 08-10-2012 09:30 AM

I'm the second owner of the boat. If I remember correctly the oringinal owner said he had some work/tuning done to the motors at 200 hours. Not sure if that was a sales pitch or actual truth. I do keep up with my 3 buddies who are all running 35 ft fountains that run in the low to mid 80's.

vettex1 08-10-2012 11:30 AM

Sound like you have head and intake work done. No way your 100% stock and getting those speeds.

Here's Johnny 08-11-2012 05:21 AM

I agree.....that is fast with 500's..... I run a 2002 358 with twin 575sci's..... I see 79-80 on any given day and one time in very early spring (cold water and air) with 1/2 tank fuel, NO gear, by myself, new labbed props from BBlades, I hit 84....... There are so many variables in top speed it's crazy...... I know that my engines are very affected by ambient temperture so I see a noticable loss in speed as summer approaches and then my last few runs of the season as it gets cooler out I could see the higher speeds again. Then everytime I have a little prop work done my numbers change too. I feel as long as I am in the high 70's I am fine with that......

billy boats 08-11-2012 06:46 AM

Here's Johnny, do you run on the south shore ? I think I've seen your boat . I'm in Massapequa .

billy boats 08-11-2012 07:00 AM

The reason I started this tread with saying " no BS " is I'm trying to dial in my boat . I thought it would be faster ,so if guys with 500 hp are running mid 70's and I'm mid 80's with 725 hp I guess that just what the boat will do . But if guys are running much less power and running faster I have to keep looking into my set up.
My boat was set up light from the factory , no ref, no micro,small fuel tanks. I removed all the foam from V berth and cabin floor , removed arch , no water in tank,the interior is all new with no water in the foam light weight engine hatch, no power hatch, removed hook from bottom of hull ......
The hull looks the same as a 2000 model . So I'm not doubting anyone's statement of their speeds I'm just wondering why I'm not faster

dcb 08-13-2012 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by hanzcap (Post 3749788)
2000 358 w/ 500 efi's 28 4 blades, saw 83 on the GPS last saturday and still had about 300 rpms left. Tanks half full, 20 gallons water, and two people on the boat.

A 28 pitch prop at 5000 rpm will go 83 with 2% slip - something doesnt add up....

Here's Johnny 08-13-2012 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by billy boats (Post 3751253)
Here's Johnny, do you run on the south shore ? I think I've seen your boat . I'm in Massapequa .

Yep, I run on the south shore..... Where do you do most of your boating ? I am usually between cedar beach and Oceanside..... And a trip to Fire Island once or twice a year....

billy boats 08-13-2012 12:50 PM

I'm at Freeport a lot , zacks bay, hemlock cove...... I go to fire island a lot also . Heading to kissmet on tue

sonickevin95 08-13-2012 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by billy boats (Post 3751258)
The reason I started this tread with saying " no BS " is I'm trying to dial in my boat . I thought it would be faster ,so if guys with 500 hp are running mid 70's and I'm mid 80's with 725 hp I guess that just what the boat will do . But if guys are running much less power and running faster I have to keep looking into my set up.
My boat was set up light from the factory , no ref, no micro,small fuel tanks. I removed all the foam from V berth and cabin floor , removed arch , no water in tank,the interior is all new with no water in the foam light weight engine hatch, no power hatch, removed hook from bottom of hull ......
The hull looks the same as a 2000 model . So I'm not doubting anyone's statement of their speeds I'm just wondering why I'm not faster

i think the answer to the question, why am I not faster? Is simple, the sonic is not a fast haul. Its not a pad, or v bottom boat, and even with the lightening of the boat you did the weight is marginal. I was extemely dissapointed with the speed of my sonic as well, so was a friend of mine who got rid of his after 2 seasons. That being said there are other great things to like about the sonic. Top speed being at the bottom of the list. The guy I sold mine to is also dissapointed with the speed of the boat and trying to sell it. If speed is a major concern then I personally wouldnt recommend this haul. If rough water capabilities and comfort as well as sharp looks are what you are after then sonic is top of the chain...... IMO