Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Sonic (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sonic-46/)
-   -   Sonic or Velocity (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sonic/89054-sonic-velocity.html)

automan 10-20-2004 08:26 PM

Sonic or Velocity

I have been looking at sonics for two years love to have 31 0r 35 havent made plung yet see them different places i have a 28 foot imp viper single 454 i recently got interested in a velocity 29c 525 single engine claim 80ish gps they tell me will handle same water as sonic 31 what do you guys think i know everybody has there favorite tuff to get unbiased oppinion very confused no appreciate any info how does velocity get so much speed with a non stepped hull the vr 1 just set a new speed record in the 80 ish range single engine

thanks

509 SC 10-20-2004 08:56 PM

Re: Sonic or Velocity

Velocity's are fast boats due to 2 things, a pad bottom and a relatively light hull layup. But I don't think you'll get anywhere near the rough water ride that the 31 Sonic will give you. Nothing against Velocity but I don't think they're built as solid, but they're certainly quick! Steve

mikes280 10-20-2004 09:50 PM

[QUOTE=509 SC]Velocity's are fast boats due to 2 things, a pad bottom and a relatively light hull layup. But I don't think you'll get anywhere near the rough water ride that the 31 Sonic will give you. Nothing against Velocity but I don't think they're built as solid, but they're certainly quick! Steve[/QUOTE i thank velocities are built as solid as a Sonic just not as havey i do like the 31 Sonic i thank it is a very nice boat and may ride a little better in the rough but i have a 28 velocity and have been on a few pokerruns with the 31 and had no problem running with them the 29 rides better then mine keep in mind we are comparing a single to a twin .by the way just had a 29 here last week with a 525 its system with 3 big guys and a half a tank of fuel it run 85 on gps and was on the revlimiter would have been faster with more prop just my two cents.

dyno 10-21-2004 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by 509 SC
Velocity's are fast boats due to 2 things, a pad bottom and a relatively light hull layup. But I don't think you'll get anywhere near the rough water ride that the 31 Sonic will give you. Nothing against Velocity but I don't think they're built as solid, but they're certainly quick! Steve

What he said!! I know guys that have broke hulls on a Velocity but never a Sonic....My 31 weighs 7700 dry, whats the Velocity weigh? Weight= ride....If speed is what you want get the pad bottom,you want ride quality and cabin room get the Sonic.

mjmbodine 10-21-2004 10:55 AM

Same water as a 31 sonic? Bring it on! The bigger the water the more throttle. that's what my sonic likes.

Sydwayz 10-21-2004 03:06 PM

If you are going to spend anymore than 2 weekends a season in the Chesapeake Bay, go for the Sonic. The Velocity can be sick fast, on flat water, but it will beat the organs out of you in the rough.

THATS IT 10-24-2004 11:56 AM

I had a 99 31 sonic with 502 mpi's. Sweet boat. Ran about 78 mph.
The boat took the water great. We boat on the chesapeake (Pasadena area) and never had any problems with water conditions.
Ran a lot of poker runs....and kicked ass!!!!!!

Joe

RJ1340 10-24-2004 04:38 PM

By a landslide, get the Sonic

HiPerf2000 10-24-2004 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:d

roadrunner 10-25-2004 08:03 PM

After having a 320 velocity and now having a 358 .
It really depends on what you want out of your boat. The velocity
was a great boat that took more driver input to keep it straight
the speed was faster but you had to work alot harder to keep it running straight .The Sonic just goes where you point it . It is a heavier boat
But it handles the rough water much better. Speed or rough water?
That is the question . The cockpit is much deeper and larger in the velocity.yet there is more storage in the Sonic .Also the room in
the cabin is deeper with more height in the sonic.
320 w/540 bulldogs 90 mph 358 w/525's 78 mph both boats are FUN!!