Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   South Central US (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/south-central-us-225/)
-   -   Lake Cumberland Poker Run could be a problem (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/south-central-us/149863-lake-cumberland-poker-run-could-problem.html)

falktr 01-23-2007 06:45 PM

Lake Cumberland Poker Run could be a problem

Lowering lake level could affect boating, fishing
Tourist overcrowding, harm to fish possible

By Gary Garth
Special to The Courier-Journal

Yesterday's announcement by the Corps of Engineers that they intend to lower Lake Cumberland to 680 feet above sea level will mean challenges for boaters and fishermen in the state's largest lake.

The move is aimed to lower pressure on Wolf Creek Dam near Jamestown, Ky., until repairs can be made to the seeping foundation.

A surface level of 680 feet above sea level is 43 feet below Cumberland's normal summer pool. The surface acres of water will be reduced from 50,250 to about 37,000.

"Cumberland is known for its pleasure boaters," veteran guide Tim Tarter said. "You'll be putting all those people in (one-fourth) less water. My worry is that Cumberland is very busy with tourists on weekends anyway. You put them on (one-fourth) less water and add a little alcohol, and you could have problems."

It also will place many boat ramps out of the water, but that can be solved in many cases by extending existing ramps.

Liquidsation 01-23-2007 08:38 PM

Re: Lake Cumberland Poker Run could be a problem

If the dam breaks, who needs boat ramps to put in? We'll just drive the boats up! We may have a gas problem though.

Hooter1 01-24-2007 08:38 AM

This shouldn't effect the poker run in my opinion. Cumberland wil still be one of the largest lakes at 680......

kennyo 01-24-2007 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Liquidsation (Post 2002514)
If the dam breaks, who needs boat ramps to put in? We'll just drive the boats up! We may have a gas problem though.

I hope i'm not at 2 foot when that happens!

skopi55 01-24-2007 10:56 AM

Will this directly affect Old Hickory? I am not familiar with what feeds into what around here. Thanks

kennyo 01-24-2007 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by skopi55 (Post 2003158)
Will this directly affect Old Hickory? I am not familiar with what feeds into what around here. Thanks

It will only affect you if it breaks.

Aquahaulin 01-24-2007 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by kennyo (Post 2003455)
It will only affect you if it breaks.

Can you elaborate a little more?????

f311fr1 01-26-2007 06:11 PM

If the Wolf Creek Dam (Lake Cumberland) dam were to break it would flood downtown Nashville by about 20 plus feet of water level in the Cumberland River.

jonyb 01-26-2007 06:35 PM

Looks like you buys better pull the boats out and tie'em to a tree :drink:

flenner 01-26-2007 09:07 PM

I heard about 2,400 residents would have to leave thier houses on Old Hichory. Tim, need a place to stay?

Flenner

P.S. Everybody want to have a dam breaking party. When I lived in Miami we had hurricane partys (just an excuse to have one).