Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   South Central US (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/south-central-us-225/)
-   -   Thinking about moving to Texas (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/south-central-us/216988-thinking-about-moving-texas.html)

Ona-Mission 09-16-2009 09:14 PM

Thinking about moving to Texas

Im thinking about moving to Texas before Michigan implodes. Currently Im in the swimming pool and concrete leveling business and would like to do that same if I move and want to work 12 months out of the year. How does the population, and economic conditions look? Is Galvaston a good choice? Any input would be helpfull. Thanks for your help.

HTRDLNCN 09-16-2009 09:48 PM

San Antonio , Houston and points south if you want to work 12months out of the year in the pool business.

TxHawk 09-17-2009 09:43 AM

I wouldnt think Galveston would be a good place for that business. To small, and still too questionable after Ike.

I would say stay close to one of the major metroplexes. My family is in demolition/remodel/new construction in Dallas. While business got slower, it did not go away. Now things are back to being busy.

merctwofive 09-17-2009 09:50 AM

I don't think Galveston would be your first pick... stay close to Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio. Our housing market is among the best in the US here in Houston.

Dueclaws 09-17-2009 11:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
You might check the area known as Bay Area Houston (aka Clear Lake). It's about 25 miles south of Houston.

There was some damage from Ike (my house: 3 trees and dock), but not devastation like some other areas. If it matters: excellent schools.

Donman 09-17-2009 09:24 PM

If I were to move away from Lake Texoma, I would go to Austin area. Lots of opportunities no matter what line of work you`re in.

Ona-Mission 09-17-2009 09:42 PM

Is the construction or remodeling business as a whole back to being busy? Today I was given an oppertunity to take over a territory in the Houston or Dallas Area with one Pool product. Are both areas year round work? And on a recreational note... What is the boating season like? In Michigan my boat comes out of storage for about 5 months, however ALOT of that boating is in sweatshirts. This summer we had less then two weeks of IDEAL boating. I live to boat and work to buy gas.

HTRDLNCN 09-17-2009 10:47 PM

Depends on your point of view.
I boat year round so long as its not freezing out,
then there are some that think the world ends on Labor Day.
Realistically I would say march thru october here in central texas. Down south houston way I would say year round would not be a stretch at all.

HTRDLNCN 09-17-2009 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Donman (Post 2955173)
If I were to move away from Lake Texoma, I would go to Austin area. Lots of opportunities no matter what line of work you`re in.

Dont know if thats so true right now. Lot of the tech companies
have been going belly up as has the contruction market which is currently at a standstill.

tomtbone1993 09-17-2009 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ona-Mission (Post 2955189)
Is the construction or remodeling business as a whole back to being busy? Today I was given an oppertunity to take over a territory in the Houston or Dallas Area with one Pool product. Are both areas year round work? And on a recreational note... What is the boating season like? In Michigan my boat comes out of storage for about 5 months, however ALOT of that boating is in sweatshirts. This summer we had less then two weeks of IDEAL boating. I live to boat and work to buy gas.

I can't speak for Dallas, but you can boat year around in H-Town if you want to. Texas is a great state, I am glad we made the move here. :coolcowboy: