Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   South Central US (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/south-central-us-225/)
-   -   Lake Austin (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/south-central-us/278487-lake-austin.html)

MAXIMUSXXX 06-12-2012 10:41 AM

Lake Austin

I'm interested in dragging my boat to Austin for a upcoming weeked. I use to live there, so am aware of the town, but not much in terms of lakes. I've spent alot of afternoons at Hula Hut and often see many wake boats in Lake Austin, but I'm curious if bigger boats hit the lake as well? Also, besides under the 360 Bridge, where can you put in? Thanks

Turbojack 06-12-2012 08:30 PM

I use to run a 26' boat. I felt that was on the bigger end of boats there. You can launch just down from the Hula Hut, 360 bridge, Emma Long park, or quinlan park. Last time I was there I spent all of my time dodging other boats and skiers

Griswald 06-12-2012 08:54 PM

They just passed or are about to pass a bunch of new rules for Lake Austin with certain types of boats included and banned. I'm not up to speed on all of it but a couple Google searches and I'm sure you can find what you need to know. I can also tell you that a fast boat of any type is generally frowned upon down there. I would find out all you can before you get disappointed, turned away, and presented with several pink pieces of paper from local law enforcement. you can launch at 360, on Lake Austin Blvd, and at the end of Quinlan Park Rd in Steiner Ranch.

On a side note, Lake Travis is open as well as Mansfield Dam public ramp. Plenty of room to stretch your legs there.

MAXIMUSXXX 06-13-2012 08:29 AM

Maybe Lake Travis makes more sense for me then. I appericate everyone's comments.

Crossett 06-13-2012 11:52 AM

I've had mine on Austin a couple times. There's really no room to stretch your legs and a whole lot of wakeboard boats to dodge. Travis is much better.

boatntrkr 06-13-2012 07:25 PM

last time i was on lake austin i went to the hula hut and had some wakeboard tool yell at me to put mufflers on my boat....needless to say, i bumped the throttle a couple times.:party-smiley-004:..its a fun lake, but you'll spend alot of time dodging wakeboarders that are 3 wide facing in all directions. Travis is a much better choice....

Captain YARRR 06-13-2012 07:36 PM

Yes, it is too small and too narrow, not really ideal for go fast boating. Get out to Travis and you'll have miles of room to stretch it out. Give me a PM, I'm out most weekends, I'd love to run with ya.

msobczyk 06-19-2012 10:16 AM

Yeah... you'll get the finger and some choice words on Lake Austin with the exhaust open.

joe27baja 06-19-2012 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by msobczyk (Post 3712563)
Yeah... you'll get the finger and some choice words on Lake Austin with the exhaust open.

REALLY... Thats crazy, I had no idea