Notices

TX/Gulf Boating?

Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default TX/Gulf Boating?

I the opportunity to relocate to TX, anywhere between Dallas, San Antonio and Huston. I'll be working from the house and driving to those three cities. I'm thinking around Austin area (hill country) as I don't know if I can deal with living in the really flat areas.

Anyway, I know Lake Travis seems to be pretty active. How is the gulf water? I'm used to the Pacific that can get pretty nasty but also can be flat to nice evenly spaced rollers.

I sold my boat last year and have been looking at getting into a bigger waver crusher for the ocean but now may think about something a little faster but no so heavy. Does the gulf water get big? Is it linear or mixed?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live on the North Houston side and love it. Near Lake Conroe. Austin and Travis are very nice but more expensive. Dallas has Lewisville, Texoma and a few others. All have their own benefits.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in China Spring just north of Waco. Not really a fan of Waco, but we are half way between Austin and DFW so we have easy access to a lot of lakes. Love the Austin area, but too many liberal psychos for me (quite a few of them are family.) Beautiful area though. You can always look a little north of Austin into Georgetown and Round Rock, or a little higher and into Salado. Any further north and you get into the Fort Hood area and it's hit or miss there.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I live in Round Rock, have a slip on Lake Travis and couldn't be happier. I have a wonderful and affordable house that's not a long drive from the lake. From a practical stand point, I am a lot like you where I am driving to the major metro areas in Texas and I'm really only about three hours at most for a drive. Austin is nice and central.

As far as Lake Travis goes, plenty of room to haul ass, a good amount of restaurants and a lot of great people to hang out with in Devil's Cove. Lots of go fast boat owners.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member

it really just all depending on what you are looking for. I know north houston Lake conroe have a few 20-30ft+ boats on it. can be choppy due to a bulkheaded lake. Lake houston just forget it. Lake livingston is stumpy and shallow but its a big lake. Ive seen a few 20ft+ boats on it. Lake sumervill is a shallow lake but its a really nice family lake due to the camp grounds that surround the lake. As far as in boating in the gulf well ive never seen it get really sturred up but i see a usual 2-3ft chop but not saying it can get nasty on a cloudy or windy day....
Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
I live in Round Rock, have a slip on Lake Travis and couldn't be happier. I have a wonderful and affordable house that's not a long drive from the lake. From a practical stand point, I am a lot like you where I am driving to the major metro areas in Texas and I'm really only about three hours at most for a drive. Austin is nice and central.

As far as Lake Travis goes, plenty of room to haul ass, a good amount of restaurants and a lot of great people to hang out with in Devil's Cove. Lots of go fast boat owners.
Well this is kind of what I'm looking for and a 3 hour drive is nothing. Heck, It can take me 3 hours to get from one side of LA to the other in commute time!

I know Austin seems to be a liberal town but can't be any worse than out here (Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, West LA!). I'd want to be quite a ways out of town anyway.

I'll be taking a road trip out there this summer (end of June) so will check out some areas. Might fly out earlier too. I'll post on here again then to see if anyone is going to be around. Would love to get out on Travis if we can catch a ride with someone!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
Well this is kind of what I'm looking for and a 3 hour drive is nothing. Heck, It can take me 3 hours to get from one side of LA to the other in commute time!

I know Austin seems to be a liberal town but can't be any worse than out here (Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, West LA!). I'd want to be quite a ways out of town anyway.

I'll be taking a road trip out there this summer (end of June) so will check out some areas. Might fly out earlier too. I'll post on here again then to see if anyone is going to be around. Would love to get out on Travis if we can catch a ride with someone!
Yup, we are of like mind. I don't mind doing a 3 hour drive at all. Doing a Dallas to Houston....that's a little more of an annoyance.

You can't get much more conservative than Round Rock and Williamson County. Our elections are Republican vs. Libertarian, most races don't even have a democrat.

Austin is a liberal town, but I rarely find myself annoyed by it. Everyone is super nice and welcoming.

Let me know when you come out and I'd be happy to take you out on Travis, show you around.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 AM
Registered
Gold Member

I store my boat at Lake Conroe and I live 3 hours away in Lousiana. I like Conroe. Not a Corps lake so lots of restaurants and things to do on it.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
Yup, we are of like mind. I don't mind doing a 3 hour drive at all. Doing a Dallas to Houston....that's a little more of an annoyance.

You can't get much more conservative than Round Rock and Williamson County. Our elections are Republican vs. Libertarian, most races don't even have a democrat.

Austin is a liberal town, but I rarely find myself annoyed by it. Everyone is super nice and welcoming.

Let me know when you come out and I'd be happy to take you out on Travis, show you around.
We've been looking at housing around 30 miles out from Austin and there are some pretty nice places. Looking forward to my visit.

Thanks for the offer and will take you up on it when we get out there.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:11 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

South of Houston, You got clear lake, which goes into Galveston bay it can get rough, No one really runs out into the gulf, from the clear lake area you have access to run down to Galveston or up the san jac river, plenty of bar/restaurants. Travis is a good area as well, we try and go a couple of times a year.

Last edited by T-RAV; 02-14-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.