Powerboating Near Dallas and Austin? >

Powerboating Near Dallas and Austin?

Notices

Powerboating Near Dallas and Austin?

Old 03-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hook'em
Lake Travis is awesome but as mentioned if the lake is below pool it has several OH CHIT spots within the first ten feet (below full pool) and the "sometimes islands" right out in the middle of the big end. Best rule to remember is "steep is deep" but do your homework. The main river turns have long points on one side. Stay on the steep side. .
By and large, stay in the middle and your fine. Out of all lakes that vary greatly, I'd say Lake Travis is one of the safest. I can't really think of many sneaky scary spots if you stay in the middle.

But that said, we're totally full, let the good times roll!
Old 03-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DallasBAJA
Nice! We store in dry storage there. Got out on the lake yesterday. Seems like I will like it. Do you know if the member ramp gets really busy during the summer?
The member ramp isnt too bad ,for the size. Beggining of the season there are alot of "test and tune " activity there , can bog it down somewhat.
Nothing like the flopshow that you see all the time over at stewarts creek.
400 or so hrs on the 272 in lewy and never got pulled down. Even when the lake was closed a few years ago. Party cove and little elm park is where most of the scrutiny happens. Go in the cove behind Hula Hut if you want privacy . But learn the route first.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by airjunky
The member ramp isnt too bad ,for the size. Beggining of the season there are alot of "test and tune " activity there , can bog it down somewhat.
Nothing like the flopshow that you see all the time over at stewarts creek.
400 or so hrs on the 272 in lewy and never got pulled down. Even when the lake was closed a few years ago. Party cove and little elm park is where most of the scrutiny happens. Go in the cove behind Hula Hut if you want privacy . But learn the route first.
The lake that I came from we would usually go out to a cove, tie up with some friends, and have a couple beers. Others would get pretty drunk, but I only have 2-4 for the whole day and would bring plenty of food and water and be completely sober by the time we head in. Would it be advisable not to drink at all if im driving the boat at lewisville? I know I know best case would be not to drink, but I go to the lake to relax and have a good time with friends and family and we are out there for 4-6 hours before heading back in. Im just trying to see how strict they actually are. I never over load the boat, and never draw attention to myself other then having a powerboat. Im curious what others do while on the lake.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be fine doing it your way, being responsible. I'd recommend, if you think it might be an issue, get your own breathalyzer. I have several friends with them on board. If there is any question you will be asked to blow for the LEO. They aren't Nazi's but they are zero tolerance for good reason. More people die on Lewisville every year than any other lake in the state.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:34 AM
Registered

Party cove is where the majority of the b.w.i.and public intox arrests have been lately.
They have boarded boats and taken people back to shore to a breathalizer in a cruiser . Fail , and your not coming back . Stay on the south side by 121 and the dam , and the coves there , esp on weekends and you will likely go all summer without being hassled.weeknights , its like your own big private playground sometimes.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:58 PM
Registered

Party cove is where the majority of the b.w.i.and public intox arrests have been lately.
They have boarded boats and taken people back to shore to a breathalizer in a cruiser . Fail , and your not coming back . Stay on the south side by 121 and the dam , and the coves there , esp on weekends and you will likely go all summer without being hassled.weeknights , its like your own big private playground sometimes.
Well I was out there this weekend and did some exploring. There were a couple of coves I wanted to go back into but was a little nervous of stumps/trees. Could you possibly show on a map where some good coves are? We anchored out close to the dam and people drove pretty close to us. Just trying to find a relaxing place to hangout when summer comes around where I can get in the water too.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 AM
Registered

It was a rough sob out there sunday. I took the last $254 worth of gas thay had from the 121 marina store and went back to the slip.your going to get flopped around by the surf boat crowd tying up anywhere near the dam as the water starts to warm up.
One of my fav spots is right at the no wake zone cut trough where it opens up to the main part of the lake
For non wavy boat and people watching , or the first mini cove to the right as you pass by the stewarts creek ramp to get away from it all , good wind protection for anchoring there . And to trees to snag anchor line on .
If you want a shaded slip to chill at , hidden cove if you want to say hi to game wardens , 121 if you dont .
Back side of old dam at party cove good afternoon shade spot and nice sandy beach. Gets crowded though.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:41 AM
Registered

It was a rough sob out there sunday. I took the last $254 worth of gas thay had from the 121 marina store and went back to the slip.your going to get flopped around by the surf boat crowd tying up anywhere near the dam as the water starts to warm up.
One of my fav spots is right at the no wake zone cut trough where it opens up to the main part of the lake
For non wavy boat and people watching , or the first mini cove to the right as you pass by the stewarts creek ramp to get away from it all , good wind protection for anchoring there . And to trees to snag anchor line on .
If you want a shaded slip to chill at , hidden cove if you want to say hi to game wardens , 121 if you dont .
Back side of old dam at party cove good afternoon shade spot and nice sandy beach. Gets crowded though.
It was very rough Sunday. Not crazy by the dam, but if I were to be going full throttle I would have definitely caught some air on some of that chop.. Went out by the damn and just hung out and relaxed for a while. Then headed back in about 530. Boat is running good. Im ready to get some fresh gas in her and see what she does. Ill have to go explore some of these places and see what would be best. I had to get in the water yesterday to go pee and holy crap it was cold! It needs to warm up.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:45 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

So are many boaters out yet on the lake or is it just starting on Lewy ?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:55 AM
Registered

Its much more activity than this time last year. The water temp at the slip was 66 degrees , prob had something to do with it .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.