Powerboating Near Dallas and Austin?

Notices

Powerboating Near Dallas and Austin?

Old 02-26-2017, 02:04 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Lake Conroe still has a fair amount of sportboats running around. Houston area
Yes they do. Biggest problem on Conroe is overcrowding on the weekends/holidays and almost all the main lake between the dam and the 1097 bridge is bulkheaded. It is like a washing machine then. However, during the week it is very nice. Not much going on and the water is usually pretty nice.

Lake Travis used to be one of my favorite lakes, but I don't get up there much anymore. It's great when the lake is at normal full pool, but it gets sneaky when it's down some, unless you really know the lake. Lake Buchanan isn't too bad when it's full.

BUP - I agree with you on Joe Pool. Went there one time and barely escaped with my life. Those folks get pretty crazy on the weekends, but it does get funny. Chair and an ice chest up there and you can laugh for hours.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DallasBAJA
Ill be bringing my Baja 272 down here in the next couple of weeks and storing with Pier 121 Marina at lewisville. That will be my main lake. I will go to PK and Texoma a couple times a year though for sure.
The 272 that hangs out at "s" dock and ties up at the parking lot side is me .
Old 03-01-2017, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travis is full and has plenty of water now. Number of performance boats. As said you can easy go 100 miles on the lake in a day.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:26 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only complaint with PK was it is a very winding lake, great scenery and tie ups, but just non-stop turning
Old 03-13-2017, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by airjunky
The 272 that hangs out at "s" dock and ties up at the parking lot side is me .
Nice! We store in dry storage there. Got out on the lake yesterday. Seems like I will like it. Do you know if the member ramp gets really busy during the summer?
Old 03-13-2017, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PK has earned a rep as the place to get harassed by the law. After the big fire a few years back seems like the Chamber of commerce decide they want to change the scene. All the trailer houses and weekend fishing camps burned and zoning changes quickly followed. They want to make it a more "high tone" place. Local riff raff is being run off, not a good thing. You may feel like you're all alone in the middle of no where but do not drink at all if you're the Capt. You will get hauled to the bank and put through the stupid human tricks, with prejudice and ZERO tolerance.

The last first person report I got a guy I know moved a drunk girls jet ski to the other end of the raft up when the wind changed directions. He wasn't operating a boat otherwise. The game warden had "glasses" on the raft up, came straight over there, took him to the bank and put him in county lock up. He said there were 26 people in there in swim suits waiting to get booked in. He only idled down the transoms about 15 boats.

Lake Travis is awesome but as mentioned if the lake is below pool it has several OH CHIT spots within the first ten feet (below full pool) and the "sometimes islands" right out in the middle of the big end. Best rule to remember is "steep is deep" but do your homework. The main river turns have long points on one side. Stay on the steep side.

Lewisville SUCKS. I live 15 minutes from it and have been on Texoma for years. It's worth the 45 minutes drive. Boat stays there in dry storage on Highport Road. Just FYI there are 4 or 5 different flavors of LEO's on Lewisville. Long known as the deadliest lake in Texas you are under surveillance and you will get "safety checked" in a power boat. Welcome to town.

Last edited by Hook'em; 03-13-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hook'em
PK has earned a rep as the place to get harassed by the law. After the big fire a few years back seems like the Chamber of commerce decide they want to change the scene. All the trailer houses and weekend fishing camps burned and zoning changes quickly followed. They want to make it a more "high tone" place. Local riff raff is being run off, not a good thing. You may feel like you're all alone in the middle of no where but do not drink at all if you're the Capt. You will get hauled to the bank and put through the stupid human tricks, with prejudice and ZERO tolerance.

The last first person report I got a guy I know moved a drunk girls jet ski to the other end of the raft up when the wind changed directions. He wasn't operating a boat otherwise. The game warden had "glasses" on the raft up, came straight over there, took him to the bank and put him in county lock up. He said there were 26 people in there in swim suits waiting to get booked in. He only idled down the transoms about 15 boats.

Lake Travis is awesome but as mentioned if the lake is below pool it has several OH CHIT spots within the first ten feet (below full pool) and the "sometimes islands" right out in the middle of the big end. Best rule to remember is "steep is deep" but do your homework. The main river turns have long points on one side. Stay on the steep side.

Lewisville SUCKS. I live 15 minutes from it and have been on Texoma for years. It's worth the 45 minutes drive. Boat stays there in dry storage on Highport Road. Just FYI there are 4 or 5 different flavors of LEO's on Lewisville. Long known as the deadliest lake in Texas you are under surveillance and you will get "safety checked" in a power boat. Welcome to town.
Sounds like a blast... Ill have to make sure to get my fire extinguishers checked out and make sure im up to code. Lewisville is just more convenient for a one day outing.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Registered

Try to find a fishing map that shows where the timber is. While most of them aren't standing above pool level anymore they are as solid as concrete under water. The lake is full now. When it's down three feet this summer you'll be shocked at how much timber appears and how much traffic you've seen in those areas, including skiers.

It's and urban lake with 3 million people living within striking distance around it. Some of the stupidest of them will be operating a boat on Lewisville every weekend from now until October. Keep your head on a swivel.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hook'em
Try to find a fishing map that shows where the timber is. While most of them aren't standing above pool level anymore they are as solid as concrete under water. The lake is full now. When it's down three feet this summer you'll be shocked at how much timber appears and how much traffic you've seen in those areas, including skiers.

It's and urban lake with 3 million people living within striking distance around it. Some of the stupidest of them will be operating a boat on Lewisville every weekend from now until October. Keep your head on a swivel.
Thanks for the info. I am looking up laws and regulations now. Does Texas enforce the Muffler law at all? When I got my boat all it had is through hull exhaust. Nothing else. Think I will get stopped?
Old 03-13-2017, 08:00 PM
Registered

I've never been checked for noise, running Gil mannys open no baffles. PFD's including a throw cushion, fire extinguisher and a noise maker device are the main things. By then he can tell if you're drunk. I use to tourney fish and have been on the lake plenty, but I've owned the 272 for 17 years and had her on Lewisville 3 times. Got stopped all three.

You'll have fun out there this spring. When it gets old head for Texoma. Whole different experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.