Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Southeast US
Just moved to South Florida and have a few questions for the locals. >

Just moved to South Florida and have a few questions for the locals.

Notices

Just moved to South Florida and have a few questions for the locals.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just moved to South Florida and have a few questions for the locals.

Me and the wife have been out of the boating game for several years now after selling out Baja Hammer. While owning that boat for four years I made my mind up then that our next one would be a Nordic. The looks and performance of the Nordics really appeal to both of us. We're in the market for a Nordic Rage with a 525 EFI power plant and frankly we're having a hard time finding a used Rage with this setup. There are alot of good looking boats out there, but the Nordics really have the look and styling that we love.

I do however have a question in regards to the size of the Rage. We have recently moved to South Florida, Vero Beach, and we're intereseted in attending some of the poker run events around Jacksonville and also really wanting to make the trip from Miami to the Keys. Is the Rage undersized for that type of riding out in the ocean or can it handle it? The majority of the time the boat will be used on the Indian River, but we would like the option of doing one of those runs and the trip to the Keys is a must.

I've seen tons of videos of people making the trip to the Keys in 25-28 ft Eliminator Catamarans and 24-26 ft v-bottoms. So after seeing those it seems as if the Rage would handle the trip and be safe.

Please give us your honest opions and what you feel is the best for our location and wants. Thank you!!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by young
Me and the wife have been out of the boating game for several years now after selling out Baja Hammer. While owning that boat for four years I made my mind up then that our next one would be a Nordic. The looks and performance of the Nordics really appeal to both of us. We're in the market for a Nordic Rage with a 525 EFI power plant and frankly we're having a hard time finding a used Rage with this setup. There are alot of good looking boats out there, but the Nordics really have the look and styling that we love.

I do however have a question in regards to the size of the Rage. We have recently moved to South Florida, Vero Beach, and we're intereseted in attending some of the poker run events around Jacksonville and also really wanting to make the trip from Miami to the Keys. Is the Rage undersized for that type of riding out in the ocean or can it handle it? The majority of the time the boat will be used on the Indian River, but we would like the option of doing one of those runs and the trip to the Keys is a must.

I've seen tons of videos of people making the trip to the Keys in 25-28 ft Eliminator Catamarans and 24-26 ft v-bottoms. So after seeing those it seems as if the Rage would handle the trip and be safe.

Please give us your honest opions and what you feel is the best for our location and wants. Thank you!!
Given seas 2~4' or less you are in great shape with a 26' deep Vee. As with anything..bigger is better. The near shore poker runs put on by the Florida Powerboat Club have many boats in that size range running. To get involved in any offshore runs like the Bahamas runs you're going to need twin engines...it's just not safe to get very far offshore without twins and FPC doesn't allow boats for those runs with out twins.

I have run to the Bahamas several times in my twin engine Formula 255 Liberator in 2~4' seas.

Welcome to Florida.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The most treacherous part of coastal boating is navigating the inlets from intracoastal to ocean and vice versa. It's usually worse coming back in actually.

With the low freeboard of the Nordic, any of them for that matter; you will find yourself in trouble quickly if water comes up over the transom. I'm not talking about capsizing the boat--just disabling the engine, and then you will be in real trouble.

On picture perfect days, you will be fine. Winds out of the west, or northwest, you will be fine. Anything out of the east or northeast, and you will have a really bad day on a 24' boat.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off I want to say thank you for the help on this issue.

I went down to the Ft Lauderdale boat show today and spoke to several dealers about my questions with being new to the area. Both dealers (Hustler and Baja) felt that a 25 ft boat would be fine with making the trip to the Keys from Miami, but only if we went through the mangroves and not out in the big water. The Baja dealer recommened either their 26' Outlaw or stepping up to the 20' Outlaw. He ownes a 25' Outlaw and makes the trip to the Keys on a regular basis without any issues.

It sounds like that maybe we should be looking for a larger boat than the 25' Nordic Rage. Maybe the 28' Nordic Heat or try to find another brand that we like that will work in the bigger water.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BTW...the way you saw the water outside today is about as bad as it gets. Did you see sand still on A1A where the waves came over Friday?

Also...I am a big fan of Free Board.

This is my old 255 Formula...I have mucho distance from the rub rail to the water line for a 26' boat!!

Last edited by sprink58; 10-28-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I'd love to have you stop by our Factory in Pompano Beach and talk about a new 28/29 foot Active Thunder.

Brian(a)activethunderboats.com
Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All depends on how crazy you are

I would run from Miami to Key largo almost every weekend during the summer in a 17ft Formula ..
Sometimes on inside , sometimes on the outside. Dont think there wasnt a fitting or screw that didnt break or come lose. Yet in 4 years in never broke,sunk,or hurt me..
I would not hesitate to make the run to KW in a 25ft boat if it has a good hull and a good build.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
BTW...the way you saw the water outside today is about as bad as it gets. Did you see sand still on A1A where the waves came over Friday?

Also...I am a big fan of Free Board.

This is my old 255 Formula...I have mucho distance from the rub rail to the water line for a 26' boat!!
Im here for the boat show , here is some video from friday..
Waves were actually worse yesterday.
https://www.facebook.com/v/492107878...hockwave-flash

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 10-28-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with running the mangroves, to me it is actually more fun. This is South biscayne bay on a nice day in my 24 Pantera, but even on a normal day a 24 or So Baja should handle it just fine.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-_4V9zkVgQ[/YOUTUBE]