Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Southeast US (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/southeast-us-243/)
-   -   House Hunting in Florida! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/southeast-us/329962-house-hunting-florida.html)

Carbon Footprint 08-21-2015 07:39 PM

House Hunting in Florida!

The wifey and I are heading into Orlando on August 29, grabbing a rental car and going house hunting! So exciting. The plan is to look in the Panama City Beach area, possibly Pelatka area on the St. Johns. We are looking for something private on acreage, with or without a house on it, Waterfront would be a bonus, but not mandatory as the Eliminator rarely stays in the water anyway. Any one have any suggestions, or want to take us out on a ride Saturday? By the way, the budget with home is around 200K or under as I don't want to have much of a mortgage, and 20% down is steep when you're self employed. Any areas to stay away from.
Thanks

Wildman_grafix 08-21-2015 09:48 PM

Two VERY different areas. You do know from Orlando it will take about 6 hours to get to panama beach?

Palaka is on the Saint John, been there a few times. Pretty sleepy place, lots of run down areas. Tell us a little more about why you picked those two places.

Wildman_grafix 08-21-2015 09:52 PM

I was told on the gulf side that Ruskin has changed and are not charging any impact fees if you are looking at building.

Sydwayz 08-21-2015 09:53 PM

Emerald Coast Poker Run is in Destin this weekend.

Be aware, Panama City Beach is mostly DEAD for the entire year except for Spring Break season.

tommymonza 08-21-2015 10:43 PM

Be Aware anything North of Tampa or Orlando is too cold to go comfortable boating Late December to the end March

phragle 08-21-2015 10:53 PM

If you go south, talk to cashbar.....

tommymonza 08-21-2015 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Footprint (Post 4345809)
The wifey and I are heading into Orlando on August 29, grabbing a rental car and going house hunting! So exciting. The plan is to look in the Panama City Beach area, possibly Pelatka area on the St. Johns. We are looking for something private on acreage, with or without a house on it, Waterfront would be a bonus, but not mandatory as the Eliminator rarely stays in the water anyway. Any one have any suggestions, or want to take us out on a ride Saturday? By the way, the budget with home is around 200K or under as I don't want to have much of a mortgage, and 20% down is steep when you're self employed. Any areas to stay away from.
Thanks

You do know that the state of Florida has Imposed a onetime tax of 37 percent of the value of any purchases made in the state of Florida by Coloradans right?

Carbon Footprint 08-22-2015 01:20 PM

^ Funny guy. We are not looking to be in the "heart of the action" quite the opposite, we are looking for private, secluded, don't bother me type of property.... but still close to great boating (as in 30-40 minutes away). Yes I know it is a long drive from Orlando, but the airfare was dirt cheap, and we wanted to look at several different areas of Florida anyway............just not the southern half below Orlando.

Carbon Footprint 08-22-2015 01:23 PM

I have a truck and trailer...... I can drive to the action when I feel the need.
We picked those two areas, based on privacy, price of land, proximity to decent boating, the beaches of the Panhandle, etc... Need room for all the toys, fourwheelin, shootin, etc.... Plus a little change in the seasons is not a bad thing.

ALL_IN! 08-24-2015 10:07 AM

We vacation in Panama City a few times each year. We love it there due to proximity to KY (easy day drive). ...and we plan to retire in FL in about 5 years. However, as previously mentioned, the panhandle won't be warm enough for us year round. I plan to only wear flip-flops for the 2nd half or so of my life ! LOL