Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Southeast US (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/southeast-us-243/)
-   -   Million Dollar Point - Lanier !!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/southeast-us/342917-million-dollar-point-lanier.html)

aquaforce 11-26-2016 07:34 PM

Million Dollar Point - Lanier !!!!!!!!!!!

Who all knows about "million dollar point" on Lanier???

Do you know this point to be unmarked???
Is this the under water peak in the no wake marker line coming in to Holiday and Singleton marinas???

I am so ill over striking this thing and since it was unmarked I had no expectation of a problem since I stayed out in the middle all day. The boat is damaged and I feel sucker punched by the Corps since they didn't do their job.

So what obligations are on the Corps for marking in Ga anyway? I have been to many other lakes that are far better marked than "killer" lanier.

Lake is 10 feet down and there is a lot of land showing so that is not hard to just stay in the middle. There are a lot of markers showing in the usual places so no prob there. Is the Corps supposed to mark stuff like million dollar point for navigation at all level? Does their obligation stop at some specific level?

Anyone know how to get an ear at the Corps? I wander just how far I could push this with insurance companies, lawyers and PR people to put heat on the Corps about this. Yea you can tell I'm pizzed talking like this looking for a fight. I am fully responsible for my boat and what I do with my boat and there should never be damage with in all reason. This seems beyond reasonable expectations since many people supposedly know about this and the Corps has not marked it.

Unfortunately I know where it is now with the damage all over my boat. Sure would rather had a good day boating and just drove around another marker.

gotstreetracin 11-26-2016 10:19 PM

Hate to hear about that, I would suggest getting a good chart plotter and set a 10' keel offset, but as far as the makers I would guess it's not marked because it(the marker) would be a Hazzard when the lake is full.

FOUNTAINFLY 11-28-2016 10:49 AM

Lanier has a lot of underwater peaks and mounds just under the surface when the water gets lower. I like to use Google earth's historical imagery when boating on the local lakes. You can go to the toolbar and click the clock and slide the date bar back to 2008 when the southeast lakes were at their lowest levels ever. The amount of new real estate in Lanier is shocking! Sorry to hear of the damage to your boat. That's always been one of my greatest fears. Haven't hit anything in the Fountain, but have in my center console. I've seen folks mark obstructions on their own when the lakes get low.I agree that the Corps and DNR should do a better job!

Keith Atlanta 11-28-2016 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by aquaforce (Post 4504314)

So what obligations are on the Corps for marking in Ga anyway? I have been to many other lakes that are far better marked than "killer" lanier.

Wait? Are you asking that they take responsibility for something? LOL I think I just pizzed myself!

My friend, I lived on the lake for 5 years 3 of which were during the drought back around 2007ish. The only thing those fukkers are good for is making your life miserable for pruning a few branches to increase line of sight to my local cove. I trimmed a few trees and they had aerial pictures and a fukking SWAT team at my house. You would think I buried bodies in my back yard.... There were forensic tree arborists there - seriously.

Memorize this: Lake Lanier was built for water conservation and power generation, NOT, I repeat NOT, for land value and ESPECIALLY not boating or water sports.

Back to navigating Lake Lanier. As I said, I lived there during a period when the lake was 30 FEET low and I still boated often. Luckily, my dock was on the former Chattahoochee River basin near hwy 60 in Gainesville. If you have a chart-plotter it shows the old Chattahoochee riverbed and Chestatee riverbed with a red line. Or for $10 you can buy a Lake Lanier contour map. After a few short rides you know where the old riverbeds were - it just makes sense. As said before, I drove around when the lake was 30 feet down and never scratched a drive. When in doubt, stay in or near the riverbeds. This applies to anytime the lake isnt full.

Sort of like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=lake...IQVxw48soyM%3A

Out There 11-28-2016 08:11 PM

is that the first point on the right as you come in to Holiday? Just in front of the yacht area with the travel lift? If so, that has gone unmarked for years and I don't understand why. I would not expect the COE to take resposibility for anything.....unfortunately

aquaforce 11-29-2016 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta (Post 4504753)
Wait? Are you asking that they take responsibility for something? LOL I think I just pizzed myself!

My friend, I lived on the lake for 5 years 3 of which were during the drought back around 2007ish. The only thing those fukkers are good for is making your life miserable for pruning a few branches to increase line of sight to my local cove. I trimmed a few trees and they had aerial pictures and a fukking SWAT team at my house. You would think I buried bodies in my back yard.... There were forensic tree arborists there - seriously.

Memorize this: Lake Lanier was built for water conservation and power generation, NOT, I repeat NOT, for land value and ESPECIALLY not boating or water sports.

Back to navigating Lake Lanier. As I said, I lived there during a period when the lake was 30 FEET low and I still boated often. Luckily, my dock was on the former Chattahoochee River basin near hwy 60 in Gainesville. If you have a chart-plotter it shows the old Chattahoochee riverbed and Chestatee riverbed with a red line. Or for $10 you can buy a Lake Lanier contour map. After a few short rides you know where the old riverbeds were - it just makes sense. As said before, I drove around when the lake was 30 feet down and never scratched a drive. When in doubt, stay in or near the riverbeds. This applies to anytime the lake isnt full.

Sort of like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=lake...IQVxw48soyM%3A

We slipped in at Holiday and went out for two days. I know to stay in the clear and watch otherwise and until this incident I have never had a drive kick up and mess up the props due to a strike.
I was in the middle of two no wake buoys where this peak is and nothing to indicate I was in hazardous waters. On one side of this peak it is 102 feet and on the other side it is 75 feet and this peak is sharp so no warning that would help. It was just where I can not find any marks on the gel but all three drives and props are damaged.
I have been looking into an updated GPS for more screen and better coverage but I will add some requirements to the features I have been looking at. My depth system is working but is not 100% so I have intended to upgrade that also. I may use a GPS/plotter that integrates depth to add some protection for me.
As a matter of fact, yes, I expect a tax payer operated entity to be accountable for their own job responsibilities. The fact that this point is not marked, has not been marked in years and has gone on so long that the locals have named it, seems to demonstrate negligence and I'm sure insurance companies that are paying for damage at this spot would like to limit their risk as well.
I have had a conversation with COE already and so far so good. When another person arrives back to work there are to be further talks. I hope this will be productive to resolve this unmarked spot and not be a threat as it is. I have some good ideas so their receptiveness will be my litmus test of success with them. If not, plan B.

aquaforce 11-29-2016 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by FOUNTAINFLY (Post 4504645)
Lanier has a lot of underwater peaks and mounds just under the surface when the water gets lower. I like to use Google earth's historical imagery when boating on the local lakes. You can go to the toolbar and click the clock and slide the date bar back to 2008 when the southeast lakes were at their lowest levels ever. The amount of new real estate in Lanier is shocking! Sorry to hear of the damage to your boat. That's always been one of my greatest fears. Haven't hit anything in the Fountain, but have in my center console. I've seen folks mark obstructions on their own when the lakes get low.I agree that the Corps and DNR should do a better job!

Thanks for your replies everyone and the thoughts and ideas.
I like the idea of imagery like blue charts so that is what I will require for my new GPS features.

aquaforce 11-29-2016 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Out There (Post 4504785)
is that the first point on the right as you come in to Holiday? Just in front of the yacht area with the travel lift? If so, that has gone unmarked for years and I don't understand why. I would not expect the COE to take resposibility for anything.....unfortunately

Yes, it is either the first or second pass through the no wake markers. I'm glad for the responses here for me to be able to show COE this is not some isolated case of recklessness that they might just ignore. Others at Holiday marina also informed me of the un-marked condition and the name of million dollar point, they said because it does a million dollars of damage every year. lol, that is funny but not on my dime.

Out There 11-29-2016 06:10 AM

With the no wake buoys running along through that area, they actually bring a false sense of security. You would think a shoal would be marked.
One of the highest traffic areas on the lake. Good luck with your talks with the Corps.

Keith Atlanta 11-29-2016 06:29 AM

The lake is only 10 feet down right now. Thats nothing for Lanier. It sounds counter intuitive but you can go up in the winter when you have a 60 degree day. You cruise around when the lake is low and learn where a lot of the shoals and sand bars are for the summer time. We use to go out when its 60-65 degrees and just idle around, you learn a lot about the lake. Its too cold to go anything above plane but great to have a Saturday on the lake with a nice lunch on the boat and chill, maybe a drink. Been out on Christmas and New Years a zillion times.