Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Southeast US (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/southeast-us-243/)
-   -   Fort Myers, Sanibel, CC Housing Question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/southeast-us/358641-fort-myers-sanibel-cc-housing-question.html)

hotstang46 01-19-2019 11:27 AM

Fort Myers, Sanibel, CC Housing Question

I'm pulling the trigger on adding residence down in the area and am having a hard time deciding on Sanibel vs the Cape or likely Ft Myers. I currently reside at home in NC with the boat in the backyard on a lift so honestly I'm drawn more to the Sanibel properties on the beach because I do not presently have walkable beach access (budget will not allow a direct access home in Sanibel that would give a short bike ride or golf cart ride to the beach). Of course from a boating aspect this would force me to likely rack store the boat which while convenient makes it much more of pain than I'm used to. During the season even more of a pain as many times I'd likely want to go for a quick spin that wouldn't be possible because of the traffic getting on and off the island to use the boat. So here is the question and maybe the better route......If I get place with direct access located on the river in the cape or Ft Myers is there nice beach access via the boat that is just a step away? If so that is likely the better route. (though I do love Sanibel)

Twin O/B Sonic 01-19-2019 12:46 PM

I had a house in the Cape for a yr and loved it.

My favorite places there were Pine Island and Ft Meyers Beach (Estero Island).
Estero is 9 mls of Beach across the river from the Cape.
Gorgeous Beach, bicycles allowed, tiki bars etc.

Pine Island is basically a barrier island between Sanibel and the Cape that no one knows exists.
The water between/around the two is shallow but as good as it gets.
Matlacha is a tiny island on the way to Pine Idland.
Old school, been there forever and very basic but, killer seafood, caught across the street, hrs old and served over looking Pine Island Sound.

Kayo Costa is the next Island north of Captiva and all protected Beach on the Gulf side.
Also a couple of islands between and as good as it gets.

IMO, I could never deal w/the bridge going to Sanibel.
Esteros Beach is better and 1000 times bigger.

hotstang46 01-19-2019 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic (Post 4668763)
I had a house in the Cape for a yr and loved it.

My favorite places there were Pine Island and Ft Meyers Beach (Estero Island).
Estero is 9 mls of Beach across the river from the Cape.
Gorgeous Beach, bicycles allowed, tiki bars etc.

Pine Island is basically a barrier island between Sanibel and the Cape that no one knows exists.
The water between/around the two is shallow but as good as it gets.
Matlacha is a tiny island on the way to Pine Idland.
Old school, been there forever and very basic but, killer seafood, caught across the street, hrs old and served over looking Pine Island Sound.

Kayo Costa is the next Island north of Captiva and all protected Beach on the Gulf side.
Also a couple of islands between and as good as it gets.

IMO, I could never deal w/the bridge going to Sanibel.
Esteros Beach is better and 1000 times bigger.

I guess the reason why I'm asking is I'm wondering if the beaches are accessible via boat. I've never boated there before but on the bodies of water that I have boated on many beaches have restrictions that prevent you from approaching them and using them, and if you try Coast Guard or whoever the authority is will kick you out and tell you to move. Is there a nice protected beach near by that you can actually pull up to?

And ya, I love sanibel and the beach access a place there would provide, however mooring a boat in Ft Myers and going back and fourth to use it on a busy day would not be fun at all so probably wouldn't even get to enjoy the boating in the area if I went that route.

boomer 01-20-2019 01:41 PM

We have a place in Bonita springs justt below Ft myers, check that area as well the traffic in Ft myers and the cap will kill you in season. If you can rent for a few months and look

Crude Intentions 01-21-2019 02:00 PM

I live in cape. My vote is ft Myers/N ft Myers. Cape is like a city with an hoa. The codes suck. I will be selling my cape home and moving. I don’t want to store my boat at the house but I do all my own work and cleaning and out it on the trailer for some of those things. Some people wanna be south cape or whatever to “be close to the gulf” while that’s nice most boating Fay’s you aren’t just running through the gulf aimlessly. Lol. We go all over and I don’t mind cruising upriver. For me boating is about being on the boat and not how fast I can get somewhere to dock it. If you have any questions let me know.

on the beaches thing yes. Ft Myers in front of lani kai, sanibel in front of sundial, Cayo costa both gulf and icw side. Bonita area. Lots of them depending how far you want to go. We frequently get on the hook and enjoy the water.

Mike. 850-238-5655. Text is best as I’m a captain and frequently offshore on a supply boat.

fossil fuel 01-23-2019 06:55 PM

Drove over the bridge to Sanibel. Read all the signs that told me what I cant do....Did a u turn and went to the Keys.......

RikuY 02-01-2019 11:50 AM

I lived in South Ft. Myers for 12 years, and boated down in Estero Bay to Bonita. The beaches on the islands, like Lovers Key, etc were all great to use by boat (Keywadin (sp?) down south of Naples was also awesome). Those would be a bit of a trip during the evening after work from the river, but I don't have experience with that side enough to speak on it. You will find lower pricing on waterfront with lift in the Cape, but as someone above said, I could not live there with all the rules. I would think you could get to the Sanibel/Sanibel Causeway beaches by boat from the river pretty quickly, so maybe that would do it for you? I will say that skinny water is the name of the game, and outboards and power poles would make your process much easier to do, IMHO. Great area overall, and I can't wait to get back! Good luck!