Battery Switches x2 in 32 w/496HO's? >

Battery Switches x2 in 32 w/496HO's?

Notices

Battery Switches x2 in 32 w/496HO's?

Old 08-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Switches x2 in 32 w/496HO's?

Had a little issue this weekend thinking it was one of the alternators. Later some tweaking may have revealed a switchology issue.

For those who have 03-06 32's what have you been told about Which switch is for what, and what position to set your switches to ensure both batteries are charged properly and general fully charged running positions?
Old 08-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts
Default Re: Battery Switches x2 in 32 w/496HO's?

I believe Dave Hare told me one on 1 and the other on 2. In case of an emergency(as in low batteries) put them both on the same number and they will be linked together to get the boat started.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I believe Dave Hare told me one on 1 and the other on 2. In case of an emergency(as in low batteries) put them both on the same number and they will be linked together to get the boat started.
Same that I was always told too. Specifically told not to run them both on the "both" setting.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

So let me get this straight. Port switch on #1 position, with starboard switch on the #2 position during normal operation. Understand the both position when needed if the batteries are low.

Do I have to flip/flop the # settings to ensure a charge, or are both batteries being charged by separate motors while in opposing positions and can always be left in those positions?

Reason I ask is this past weekend I replaced one of the two batteries with a new one then ran a poker run. Think I had them both set on the #2 position which was the new battery. Later in the day post run at the dock, I had two completely dead batteries for the first time ever again witht he #2 (starboard) one being brand new one.

Next morning got the jump box out and fired them up and let it idle for awhile. Pulled away form the dock and the first electrical switch I hit (trim button) suddenly killed both engines and everything went dead again. Drifted over to a dock and tied up. Had some other funky issues where only one engine (starboard) would fire up on the box and only would keep running while the box remained connected and osme other wierd things. The volt meter for the starboard engine would read only like 11.5 volts while running?

Anyway, I had my brother bring over his car and jumper cables and we pulled both batteries and used the jumpers to charge them off the car. Put them both back in and got the port motor started where the volt meter showed a strong charge was being put out with everything suddenly going back to normal, or so it seemed, and both volt gauges showed a charge of 13.5-14v when on plane with increased RPM.

So I'm not sure if it was a funky battery switch situation where there was no charging during the run, or if I have possibly one or two bad alternators? I'd like to find out it was battery switchology and not something else.

Last edited by Reckless32; 08-09-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Registered

I always put my starboard on 1 and port on 2. It does not matter which you put on which, as long as one engine is on 1 and the other on 2, at least that was what I was told. Never had any problems when following those directions.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:26 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Hell... I have always had mine on Both sense I owned it. Never had a problem and they always-ed started fine. I leave mine in the water so by leaving the 2 switches on both I never have to worry about the bilge pumps running out of power if there should ever need to.
I have never needed a jump this way, and never came down to the boat with a dead battery or batteries.
Just my 2 cents guys
Old 08-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kanookstr
Hell... I have always had mine on Both sense I owned it. Never had a problem and they always-ed started fine. I leave mine in the water so by leaving the 2 switches on both I never have to worry about the bilge pumps running out of power if there should ever need to.
I have never needed a jump this way, and never came down to the boat with a dead battery or batteries.
Just my 2 cents guys
As long as everything is fine you will be OK with this. If one of your batteries starts getting lower (wearing down) it will call for full charging longer. The full charging will go against both batteries, possibly frying the good battery. The nice thing about each being on their own setting, they get the charge they call for.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
Same that I was always told too. Specifically told not to run them both on the "both" setting.
I HAVE A 2000 28 I ALLWAY RUN THE SWITCH ON BOTH I NOT SURE ON THE NEW SWITCHES , I HOCKED MINE UP MY SELF AND THE SWITCH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CHARGING THE BATTERIES.THE SWITCH IS TO CONTORL WITCH BATT START YOUR MOTOR AND TO RUN YOUR ACCESSORY