Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Sunsation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sunsation-43/)
-   -   Sunsation 288 For Sale - Opinions? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sunsation/189074-sunsation-288-sale-opinions.html)

bimmerboy318 06-17-2008 07:12 AM

Sunsation 288 For Sale - Opinions?

I've been watching this boat in the classifieds for a while now. Price has been lowered to what it is. My only worry is the 565ci motor in it with the double pumper 1050 carb. How much gas is this sucker going to swallow? Will it be that much worse than a 496HO?

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o18892-en.html

Knot 4 Me 06-17-2008 07:50 AM

She'll be much more thirsty than a 496 HO. Look closely at the rat's nest of wiring in the one bilge shot. Also, note that the sun pad has been cut to clear the flame arrestor but there is no scoop. That means only foam and vinyl between your feet and the flame arrestor. Also, how much of that arrestor is surrounded by the sunpad when closed choking off airflow. Looks like a hack installation job. I would keep looking.

Magic Medicine 06-17-2008 09:05 AM

I can tell you more details on the boat pm me if you want further info.

ZP'd 06-17-2008 10:28 AM

I tell ya looking at the wiring job alone Knot 4 Me is dead on.. Keep looking... Can't think of why anyone would post pic's of that engine compartment while trying to sell the boat. Less pic's in the ad is better in this case..... :(

bimmerboy318 06-17-2008 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine (Post 2592410)
I can tell you more details on the boat pm me if you want further info.

I would like some more info. Would you mind e-mailing me direct at [email protected]. I'd like to know more about the engine swap, who built, who installed, maybe cover the flame arrestor cutout and wiring comments said here as well. Thanks, Dan.

bimmerboy318 06-17-2008 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ZP'd (Post 2592500)
Can't think of why anyone would post pic's of that engine compartment while trying to sell the boat. Less pic's in the ad is better in this case..... :(

I do respect someone's openess in showing their boat the way it is. But I never really paid attention to that photo. I'm glad I posted here.

Knot 4 Me 06-17-2008 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by bimmerboy318 (Post 2592510)
I do respect someone's openess in showing their boat the way it is. But I never really paid attention to that photo. I'm glad I posted here.

It comes down to what you are looking for in a boat and what you are looking to spend. To some folks, the wiring and such would not be as much of a concern as to other folks. If you are looking for a turn key, hopefully trouble free boat I would continue my search. If you are looking for more of a project, this boat my be fine. You cannot tell the whole story from pictures alone. But you have to know that anyone that puts a motor like that in a boat like this runs the snot out of it.

bimmerboy318 06-17-2008 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 2592539)
It comes down to what you are looking for in a boat and what you are looking to spend. To some folks, the wiring and such would not be as much of a concern as to other folks. If you are looking for a turn key, hopefully trouble free boat I would continue my search. If you are looking for more of a project, this boat my be fine. You cannot tell the whole story from pictures alone. But you have to know that anyone that puts a motor like that in a boat like this runs the snot out of it.

I completely agree. I am siding more to the turn key trouble free side and your appreciate the advice you gave.

Magic Medicine 06-17-2008 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by bimmerboy318 (Post 2592507)
I would like some more info. Would you mind e-mailing me direct at [email protected]. I'd like to know more about the engine swap, who built, who installed, maybe cover the flame arrestor cutout and wiring comments said here as well. Thanks, Dan.

What I have to tell you basically goes along the same lines as the others have said. The boat came from Kentucky i think, purchased by a guy who lives North of Grand Rapids Michigan. The boat had a different motor at this time I believe, ran great upper 70's low 80's. The boat was then sold and replaced with a cat. Not sure who built the motor.

chevyzq8 06-17-2008 02:21 PM

I would definetely look at cleaning up the engine compartment with all the pounding a boat takes. With a little time and effort it could be a good boat. If you asked me personally I would be more interested at 40k than 48k.