Gasoline fumes on 288 MCOB Sunny >

Gasoline fumes on 288 MCOB Sunny

Notices

Gasoline fumes on 288 MCOB Sunny

Old 05-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gasoline fumes on 288 MCOB Sunny

This is my 2nd year with a 2003 288 MCOB. Just took it out for first time this year and have strong gasoline fumes. They seem strongest in the Mid Cabin, but also smell them in the cockpit. Can someone point me to where the access is to the gas tank on these? I've looked but not found it yet, hoping you can save me some fruitless searching. Any other ideas as to what might be causing this appreciated.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might have bad news for you. The tank is accessable via a saw. Runs in between the stringers from the back bench up to the step into the cabin. My dad has an '04, and had to have the tank replaced due to it having a crack in it..... Check the bilge for fuel...
Old 05-22-2015, 10:46 PM
Registered

Thanks. Checked and so far no gas in bilge, but the fumes seem strong close to the place fuel cap and in the cabin. Scary. Checked the lines in the wall close the the fill nozzel but so far no luck finding the source of the fumes. Have to get to the bottom of it. Appreciate the info.

Did your dads start with fumes or did it leak right off? Any idea what caused the crack?

Last edited by ZeroG; 05-22-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:58 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

if no fuel tank leak then, make sure your fuel vent and line is 100 % free and clear with no restrictions plus completely in great shape still properly installed. I have had some problems like this of fuel fumes and the fuel vent line had a break in it. Also had a couple of fuel vent lines that unhooked as well.

Make sure your fuel line from the gas tank to the motor side is in good shape and not leaking especially at the fittings and or hose clamp connection.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:13 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Any chance someone put fuel in the "waste" cap instead of the fuel cap?

I know the first owner of the rainbow 32 SS did it and a fuel attendant did it to my buddy's Nortech in the Bahamas......
Old 05-23-2015, 08:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Any chance someone put fuel in the "waste" cap instead of the fuel cap?

I know the first owner of the rainbow 32 SS did it and a fuel attendant did it to my buddy's Nortech in the Bahamas......
Whoa, that would sure be a mess. We just have a porta potty though so no waste cap that could have been added to.

I chcked the vent from the outside and it has the cap and screen in place. Checked the lines inside to see if the Bimini top I added might have put a screw through the gas line, but it did not, not even close. I'll check closer to ensure all fittings are tight and connected. you need to be a contortionist to get up to that stuff and problem is, I am not. But I have the need for speed, so I'll do my damdest and hope my son and SIL will help check all the lines. Thanks all for the input. Other thoughts welcome, especially if I have not posted that I found the issue. TIA
Old 05-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

On the 2000 dominator there is a tank access port under the back seat. That port gives you access to the rear of the tank where the hoses connect and the gauge float resides. My guess is your 288 has that same access.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:03 AM
Registered

The MCOB is a bit different from the others. It has a smaller gas tank (90 vs 110). And it's hose connections to the tank are right under the drivers feet. We removed that panel, and got access to all the hoses from the fill nozzle to the tank. Sprayed them all with soapy water and started up. No leaks no where, and no gas fumes smell.

So, we put her in the water and ran. No fumes. I did blow through the vent in case the screen had become clogged with something, otherwise all I can figure is that I overfilled. I was at a new to me gas station and it might have been on a slight grade away from the fill nozzle. Whatever the issue very weird. Still have 1/2 tank, so will be filling up on the water next weekend. Fingers crossed the issue has gone away.