Using tabs to level out boat >

Using tabs to level out boat

Notices

Using tabs to level out boat

Old 09-05-2019, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using tabs to level out boat

I recently purchased a 2006 32 SS and curious in driving in rough conditions were I should have the tabs set at? At 0 the front end bounced a lot. I played with it some and seemed like at 3 the front end leveled out.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to first figure out at what level they are level with the hull, this will be your baseline. From there, you can start figuring out what works best for you. On my 28zx, between 2-3 has my tabs level, I marked the trim indicator so I know. If I want to drag my tabs to keep the nose down, I lower them to 3 or 4.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

They definitely like to get bouncy in chop. It is all a matter of playing with it. But it sounds like you're well on your way to figuring it out.

Mullen has good advice though. I'd mirror that.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Watch for bow steer and make sure you don't stuff it in rough water with the tabs down that far.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Find what's level with the bottom.

On my Fountain its 3 on the indicator. Operate the tabs between level and 1 number down in choppy conditions to calm the bouncing down and smooth the ride. On my fountain that would be between 3 and 4 on the indicators.

Play with it and find what the boat likes. No need to bury the tabs. With 280's on that boat it shouldn't take a ton of input the smooth things out.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:08 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty sure on the SS hulls Sunsation has stops on the k planes to stop them at level with the bottom of the boat, Mine will not go above that. Most of the time I don't need more than 1/2 to 1 on the gauge.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes the k-planes do have limiters so you can't run them too low.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:00 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It was Reggie Fountain that said to always run your tabs at neutral, not all the way up. As such, that's always what I have done with my boats. It's "free" extra hull and stability, that won't cost you speed.
And you should only need 1-3 ticks on the tabs to level the boat side to side when needed. 4 at most.

There have been a number of posts on this topic that you can find with a search.
Also, once you really get the feel for your boat, try using the drives at different angles to level the boat and leave the tabs at neutral. If the port side of the bow is down, punch the starboard side drive out 1-2 ticks more than the port. This leverage that the SB's prop exudes will teeter the port side bow back up to level. Again, this takes a while to master, but it's how the pros used to do it, especially in racing.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Also, once you really get the feel for your boat, try using the drives at different angles to level the boat and leave the tabs at neutral. If the port side of the bow is down, punch the starboard side drive out 1-2 ticks more than the port. This leverage that the SB's prop exudes will teeter the port side bow back up to level. Again, this takes a while to master, but it's how the pros used to do it, especially in racing.
+1. Plus leaving tabs level and using the engine trim to level side to side is a much safer technique in rough water, especially if you are running hard. Bad things can happen catching lowered tabs in rough water conditions.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
+1. Plus leaving tabs level and using the engine trim to level side to side is a much safer technique in rough water, especially if you are running hard. Bad things can happen catching lowered tabs in rough water conditions.
Still you see a lot of race boat shots in rough water with the tabs down below neutral. Its not like they're buried but they are definitely below neutral.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.