Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Sunsation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sunsation-43/)
-   -   Hour meter vs engine scan (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sunsation/367058-hour-meter-vs-engine-scan.html)

Awash 06-22-2020 01:00 PM

Hour meter vs engine scan

Im looking at a single engine 2013 Sunsation and the hour meter is almost maxed like 908 but engine scan is at 143.7 total hours. I assume that this can happen by not turning the key all the way off? I had this happen in my 2007 35 Baja and the hour meters got out of wack side to side and 30 or so hours over the what the engine scan was. I do know the marina left the keys on after servicing my outdrives two weeks later I brought it to the house to clean it and batteries were dead. I would have thought that they would have fixed that by 2013 so it couldn't happen anymore???

The boat looks like a low hour boat not a single mark or scratch anywhere in the paint or hull, trailer is pristine the bilge/ engine compartment look virtually showroom, outdrives and tabs paint is perfect and shines like new.

Final question if I buy the boat and want to fix this do I get a new hour meter and power it up till it matches the engines? this seems the simple solve but without a wiring diagram or better understanding of the Sunsation electrical system I'm just not sure.

Thanks in advance

Awash 06-22-2020 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Awash (Post 4744678)
Im looking at a single engine 2013 Sunsation and the hour meter is almost maxed like 908 but engine scan is at 143.7 total hours. I assume that this can happen by not turning the key all the way off? I had this happen in my 2007 35 Baja and the hour meters got out of wack side to side and 30 or so hours over the what the engine scan was. I do know the marina left the keys on after servicing my outdrives two weeks later I brought it to the house to clean it and batteries were dead. I would have thought that they would have fixed that by 2013 so it couldn't happen anymore???

The boat looks like a low hour boat not a single mark or scratch anywhere in the paint or hull, trailer is pristine the bilge/ engine compartment look virtually showroom, outdrives and tabs paint is perfect and shines like new.

Final question if I buy the boat and want to fix this do I get a new hour meter and power it up till it matches the engines? this seems the simple solve but without a wiring diagram or better understanding of the Sunsation electrical system I'm just not sure.

Thanks in advance

Spoke to Jeff at Sunsation I think he works in tech dept. but doesn't really matter he was supper helpful I was expecting to get no one! He answered the first part of this and said that yes left in acc. were everything is on, the hour meters do run.....just like my Baja. I could get another hour meter (Livorsi) and fix it the way I described what's anyones thoughts? fix it so it matches engine hour or leave it and provide the engine scan to the next buyer when I sell it some day?

Awaken 06-22-2020 01:39 PM

I replaced the computer in one of my old boats, and the scan would show only the hours after I replaced which was considerably less that the total hours on the boat / motor. Just a heads up.

BIGSLOW 06-22-2020 01:54 PM

If the hour meter will just roll back over to 000 and start over, you could just leave the key on until it got back to match the scanned hours.

Awash 06-22-2020 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Awaken (Post 4744698)
I replaced the computer in one of my old boats, and the scan would show only the hours after I replaced which was considerably less that the total hours on the boat / motor. Just a heads up.

Thank you good to know if it wasn't a 2014 and so crazy pristine I'd worry more, I'm confident it will pass a survey

Awash 06-22-2020 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by BIGSLOW (Post 4744702)
If the hour meter will just roll back over to 000 and start over, you could just leave the key on until it got back to match the scanned hours.

That would be too easy if I buy the boat I think I'll see if that's possible

blownhammer2000 06-24-2020 10:27 PM

I would def make the hour meter match, it drives me nuts just having my meters not match perfectly from port to starboard, I alternate starting each one so one doesn't read more over time, ocd is a ***** sometimes