Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Sunsation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sunsation-43/)
-   -   28 ssr? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sunsation/368408-28-ssr.html)

Gordo 09-09-2020 04:58 PM

28 ssr?

I started shopping around for a used Sunsation. Made a few calls to a few ads I found, (mostly to boats that are already sold), but got to have a few short conversations with some understanding, (and patient) past owners about the 28 hull, and some of the options. I've also asked around a little on the facebook Sunsation owners page. Doesn't seem to be many post 06 288's for sale, and very few with external steering..
I understand there was a "performance" option that were light layup hulls? Or maybe just lighter boats from fewer options (like a fridge).
Any other suggestions on what to look for, (or what to look out for) concerning toe 28's?
I even have an engine if I could find one with out power, (or blown engine)
Thanks,
Gordo

Jupiter Sunsation 09-09-2020 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gordo (Post 4756360)
I started shopping around for a used Sunsation. Made a few calls to a few ads I found, (mostly to boats that are already sold), but got to have a few short conversations with some understanding, (and patient) past owners about the 28 hull, and some of the options. I've also asked around a little on the facebook Sunsation owners page. Doesn't seem to be many post 06 288's for sale, and very few with external steering..
I understand there was a "performance" option that were light layup hulls? Or maybe just lighter boats from fewer options (like a fridge).
Any other suggestions on what to look for, (or what to look out for) concerning toe 28's?
I even have an engine if I could find one with out power, (or blown engine)
Thanks,
Gordo

Call the factory and ask for Joe. He will answer any question under the "SUNsation" Joe and Wayne are awesome.

SSR was a blinged out package, lots of extras none of which made it any faster. The XRT was rare on the 288 but it had an aircraft type dash/features, I didn't get it but they sold some of them.

The S was a base model, less bling, likely no Mitcher T paint and lighter so it might be 1-2 MPH faster.

The only one I'd avoid is the windshield boats, they don't look as good.

Gordo 09-09-2020 08:44 PM

Thanks! That helps

blownhammer2000 09-09-2020 09:26 PM

I have the 32s, main difference is the lack of bling over the SSR, mine was laid up 3-400lbs lighter which mainly comes from the stripped cabin, only amenity we have is the enclosed head, rest is all open storage where the fridge and etc would be, we do have the full Mcloud interior minus power bolsters, it does have Mitcher t paint, flip side our boat runs consistent 83-85, with a best of 86 in the 1000 islands with a pair of HO's

Kicknstickz 09-10-2020 02:42 AM

I'm not sure of the SSR, but I know on my 06 hull (and I think most of the single step hulls) the consistent issue is the starboard aeration tube falls off.