Sarasota Parade Pictures >

Sarasota Parade Pictures

Notices

Sarasota Parade Pictures

Old 07-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sarasota Parade Pictures

[QUOTE=MANITIE]So to the 34 teams that showed....its not all about the high boat count....the fan turn out and the people of Sarasota look foward to there race and were thankfull that we came out to race....that's what matters...[QUOTE]

Gino...I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. It IS about the quanity and quality of the amount of teams that show up. If the show is no good then eventually people will stop showing. It is like this..... 100,000 people would not show up to a nascar race if they were racing 10 dirt track cars. People want a show, they want to be entertained, they want excitement and they want to be close to the action. This has nothing to do with Sarasota (I think it in the top 3 places to race)
Old 07-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Qball][QUOTE=MANITIE]So to the 34 teams that showed....its not all about the high boat count....the fan turn out and the people of Sarasota look foward to there race and were thankfull that we came out to race....that's what matters...

Gino...I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. It IS about the quanity and quality of the amount of teams that show up. If the show is no good then eventually people will stop showing. It is like this..... 100,000 people would not show up to a nascar race if they were racing 10 dirt track cars. People want a show, they want to be entertained, they want excitement and they want to be close to the action. This has nothing to do with Sarasota (I think it in the top 3 places to race)
Q,

I think you overestimate the "average person on the beach during a race". I would guess that only 20% are there just for the races and are knowledgeable about the sport. About 45% are there for the "party atmosphere" and bikinis, and the rest would have been on the beach that day anyway, and are annoyed by all the people and the noise. That is the case with any sanctioning body. Statistically speaking - the average person at a race couldn't tell you the boat count, or even name a single boat or crew member.

Offshore is what it is.........but I love the hell out of it.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Phantom1
Q,

I think you overestimate the "average person on the beach during a race". I would guess that only 20% are there just for the races and are knowledgeable about the sport. About 45% are there for the "party atmosphere" and bikinis, and the rest would have been on the beach that day anyway, and are annoyed by all the people and the noise. That is the case with any sanctioning body. Statistically speaking - the average person at a race couldn't tell you the boat count, or even name a single boat or crew member.

Offshore is what it is.........but I love the hell out of it.
Good points; but I hate the statement offshore is what it is.It is that exact mentality that has hurt the sport throughout its history.The sport can; and should be, more than it is.Instead of accepting the current state of of the sport,everyone should be working together to take it to the next level.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1waterboy1
Good points; but I hate the statement offshore is what it is.It is that exact mentality that has hurt the sport throughout its history.The sport can; and should be, more than it is.Instead of accepting the current state of of the sport,everyone should be working together to take it to the next level.
Agreed - I was mainly pointing out that it can't be compared to NASCAR. Can our sport be much, much better? Yes, but it will take a sustainable business plan implemented by unselfish leaders. My definition of sustainable is that it can continue to operate successfully after losing a leader, or a large portion of their members.

Carbonell's no frills business plan has survived some hits membership-wise, but would SBI survive if he was no longer personally involved? What would OSS's financial situation be like if Whittier, Abrams and Mauff decided to hang up their uniforms? OPA is flying high thanks to the generosity of Mr. Haggin - what happens when he gets tired of it? In my personal opinion, and that's all it is, none of the current sanctioning bodies have what I consider long term stability going for them. I'm not bashing, it's just the nature of a sport with no paid attendance, along with the inconsistencies with sanctioning bodies over the years.

The fact that the average racer only stays in the sport for three years doesn't help either - I was one of them, so I know.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Registered

Agreed - I was mainly pointing out that it can't be compared to NASCAR. Can our sport be much, much better? Yes, but it will take a sustainable business plan implemented by unselfish leaders. My definition of sustainable is that it can continue to operate successfully after losing a leader, or a large portion of their members.

Carbonell's no frills business plan has survived some hits membership-wise, but would SBI survive if he was no longer personally involved? What would OSS's financial situation be like if Whittier, Abrams and Mauff decided to hang up their uniforms? OPA is flying high thanks to the generosity of Mr. Haggin - what happens when he gets tired of it? In my personal opinion, and that's all it is, none of the current sanctioning bodies have what I consider long term stability going for them. I'm not bashing, it's just the nature of a sport with no paid attendance, along with the inconsistencies with sanctioning bodies over the years.

The fact that the average racer only stays in the sport for three years doesn't help either - I was one of them, so I know.
Unfortunately;your right on the money literally.The expense of running a race team is so high that it has created constant turn over in our sport.At least you had the opportunity to race for a few years.My only hope is that someone in the motor sports marketing community sees the untapped potential of offshore powerboat racing.After all, Winston really got behind the OSS Puerto Rico event;and it was a big success.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

OPA is flying high thanks to the generosity of Mr. Haggin - what happens when he gets tired of it?
The answer - nothing changes.

Haggin was nice enough to sponsor the Point Pleasant race for OPA. Other than that sponsorhip, AMF - John Haggin hasn't put a penny into OPA. We accomplished the free racing format by getting more from the cities that sponsor the races. In return, we offered a higher boat count.

The difference is that OPA is run by 100% volunteers.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron,

You keep doing what your doing ... the boat will show, and the races will get bigger and bigger .
Good Job