Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Super Boat International (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/super-boat-international-191/)
-   -   Any interest in changing P-class speeds? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/super-boat-international/145399-any-interest-changing-p-class-speeds.html)

TGOR 11-18-2006 02:33 PM

Any interest in changing P-class speeds?

P-class racers/potential racers,

As the P5-class rep and after the break-outs we had in Key West, a few owners approached me and asked about bumping up our top speeds some. And in an effort to align SBI/APBA top speeds with OPA to allow boats the ability to race with the other group, I propose that we change top speeds only to match OPA's (i.e. P1=115, P2=105, P3=95, P4=85 and P5=75). I'm not proposing creating a P6-class nor changing any of the length or engine requirements, nor the GPS requirements...only the change to top speeds.

Realize that all P-classes have to agree by the majority of active registered owners and it still needs to be approved by the Board of Governors. I want to get some thoughts on whether or not there is support for this.

For the purpose of discussion, I'd like to hear from registered owners only.

Thanks,

Sean

magnum27 11-18-2006 04:35 PM

Re: Any interest in changing P-class speeds?

I think raising the speed is not going to change anything . Getting as close to breakout speed without going over is the name of this game. By raising it, boats are going to run as close to 75m.p.h. as they can, just as they do at 72. Breakouts will still happen regardless of the speed. Key West would not have had near the breakouts it had if the water conditions were not so flat. But it did show just how competitive the P classes are, P-5 I think is VERY evenly matched the way it is and am happy with it. But I will be happy with what the group decides. :)
Travis
Pirate Racing P5-21

Lucky Strike Jr 11-18-2006 05:26 PM

I realize that you want registered racers only but in your title it says, "P-class racers/potential racers" so I hope you don't mind me sticking my $.02 in.

Wouldn't it be smart to set everything up everything like OPA (speeds and size limits) and make a P6, that way people can race both organizations? We would race OPA becuase our Sutphen fits in class 5 but all the races are up north. Now, if SBI had the same rules I don't see why we couldn't race the FL races. Hhhhhhmmmmm :D

Xtremeracing 11-18-2006 09:50 PM

Sean,

You should run it by SBI/APBA first , give JC a call...

TGOR 11-19-2006 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
Sean,

You should run it by SBI/APBA first , give JC a call...

I have talked with JC in the past about rule changes and he said as long as it didn't cost SBI/APBA to implement, affect the insurance coverage, and had support of a majority of the "active" registered owners, he would consider it through the Board of Governors.

I guess if there's no support for the change, then I don't want to bother JC with a non-issue.

Sean

FunHome 11-19-2006 02:25 PM

I'd have to give it more thought, but my first reaction is to say leave it alone.

One thing that this might do is bring more light to the subject that the Classes in OPA and SBI are different, and just because you show up at a race with P whatever on the side of your boat doesn't mean you'll be racing in that class until a fair prop calc. has been done. For instance I race in P4 in SBI but in OPA under their rules I could run in P5 (30ft and under twin and singles 75mph and under) with 75mph being an average lap speed.

MIAMIBOYZ 11-19-2006 05:29 PM

Remember guys, the break out was because Key West was dead flat. We don`t race in lakes, mostly ocean racing with Miami being the biggest. Don`t plan on seing top speeds in big water, leave it alone for now, you may get some slower P4 boats in your P5 class and maybe some of you wont like that.

TGOR 11-19-2006 05:59 PM

Let's simplify this...disregard any reference/discussion on break-outs. I don't want that to become the issue since, no matter what the speed is, there are still going to be break-outs on flat water.

A better question is: Is there any interest to standardize the P-class speeds among the sanctioning bodies?

I guess yes or no will suffice, but discussion is definitely welcome.

Thanks,

Sean

TGOR 11-19-2006 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by MIAMIBOYS
Remember guys, the break out was because Key West was dead flat. We don`t race in lakes, mostly ocean racing with Miami being the biggest. Don`t plan on seing top speeds in big water, leave it alone for now, you may get some slower P4 boats in your P5 class and maybe some of you wont like that.

We're already running with some of the slower P4 boats...I welcome them into P5.

Sean

bidpro 11-20-2006 06:19 PM

Key West's unusually calm water produced some odd results. I think the current system will produce an advantage on certain days at certain races for certain setups and boats. Hopefully, over a years time it evens out.

I think leaving it as it is for now works.

Gregg Reichman