Great Lakes Grand Prix ! >

Great Lakes Grand Prix !

Notices

Great Lakes Grand Prix !

Old 08-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a little disappointed that they ran both races at one time but since there wasn't the turn out in boat counts like they hoped running them both at one time makes sense so you can see racing the whole time since the boats are running at different speeds. I didn't think they were that close in the turn on the first lap. I was out in the water not far from the turn. Now later on in the race Aqua Mania seemed a little close after coming out of the turn but by then they were running straight up the lake at that point. I don't think anyone left at all there were a lot of us standing in the water and there were still a lot of people on the beach when it was over. It sounds like they we be coming back again next year from what I heard so that's good new since it's only 2 hours away from me.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Registered

I would have to agree with the last posts. What a disaster today in Michigan City watching Aqua Mania almost run up on the beach in the turn with CMS and Geico. The turn was too close to shore along with the swimmers on top of the course. The first 2 laps had a great race with CMS, Aqua Mania, and Geico. Once CMS and Geico were out, Aqua Mania just cruised around the course. Quite a few boats either broke or bailed out leaving the already small number of boats down to barely anything. Cant wait for Patchogue
Old 08-09-2009, 09:22 PM
DriverofDonzi
Gold Member

Hey JPD,

Thanks for the information about Rockstar Racing. I will get a look at their website.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 08-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Registered

17 boats total in multiple classes....nothing personal;but that does not make for a very good race for the racers or the spectators.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

This was the first race I went to, and regardless of the shortcommings, I thought it was awesome! I had a great time and hope they return to Indiana so I can go next year. We were on the breakwall by the lighthouse to see the action in the first turn. The first lap was pretty intense! Does anyone have video, link?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

I was completely impressed with the race and how it was setup even though there was a small turnout of race boats. Our local organization that put this on said that between Friday and Sunday that over 90,000 people were at Washington Park which does not include spectators from Stop 2 down to Stop 20. There were also roughly 200 or so boats spectating yesterday. The Coast Guard and DNR did a great job of keeping the boats away from the race course despite what others are saying....I was in the middle of the course and they kept us about 100 yards from the outside of the track buoys. In other words if you weren't there don't criticize the race or the way in which it was handled. Hopefully with the amount of spectators and the nice setup more boats will show up next year. Lake Michigan can get very rough as was evident yesterday with 4 - 6 boats breaking before the end of the race.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ApachePete
Lots of spectators, but so few race boats, in so many different classes, that it was simply a big flop. IMO.

I think the "death of offshore" has been accurately reported . . . at least for the SBI.

The only real drama came in the first turn on the first lap, when the new Geiko and Aquamania cats came is so fast that they swung wide in the turn and then ran INSIDE THE SWIMMING BUOYS, coming frightenly close to taking out dozens of swimmers just off the beach! It came close to being VERY bad.

After that, they practically slowed to stop aound that mark. The single engine V's were taking it faster.

Then either Geiko or CMS over-compensated, and ran inside the second turn buoy, effectivelly missing the turn. Then they both broke/quit, and Aquamania ran around at when looked like 70 MPH for the remainder.

LAMO

There was only 1 big cat (WFM), and it was soundly spanked by several Fountains who looked to be running at least 10 - 20MPH faster. I guess there's no need to "race" when you're the only entrant in your class.

Not much fun to watch.

Fans started leaving 40 minutes after the race started.

Sad.

WHM is an 850 boat....most of the fountains like the Panasonic (Cat Killer) had the big sterlings in....they may of been running slow due to the 30 MPH West wind as well. We had a great time all weekend staying on the boat Friday through yesterday. Can't wait for next year
Old 08-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Registered

Exclamation Local Paper Reaction!

FYI...

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?...rticleID=25068

Check Out what the locals think...

This is the front page article this morning!

Last edited by Coach; 08-10-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Registered

Lightbulb Well...

Originally Posted by raceguy
WOW ! The unity thing seems to be working well .Those with no place to race ,and those with no pro- classes just get on here and tear down the ones who try . Nice job .
I caught up with Paul Kemiel the sports photographer the CVB locally was utilizing for the weekend... http://www.paulkemielphotographics.com

Paul is my cousin's husband and has covered racing events for decades!

His comment that is pounding in my mind is " most of the spectators at the race were new race fans, having never seen an offshore event before" he said it was an incredible spectacle! A whole fleet of powerboat enthusiasts from Chicago area came over in mass! Hundreds of pleasure craft and hot boats!

I think the event was a smash hit! Home-run out of the ballpark!

Great Job SBI, and all the teams who made the race a reality...

Coach

Last edited by Coach; 08-10-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I look forward to seeing the pics Coach!

Julie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.