Sarasota Grand Prix Radio Broadcast >

Sarasota Grand Prix Radio Broadcast

Notices

Sarasota Grand Prix Radio Broadcast

Old 07-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Sarasota Grand Prix Radio Broadcast

My wife and I watched the races from our boat (thanks a lot CG for making everybody anchor up a mile away from the course btw). One of the best (closest) offshore races I've ever seen but what was up with the radio broadcast? I know Stan and Pete are great guys and amateur broadcasters but would it have been that hard to have someone else in the room with a radio, a pair of binoculars, and a pen and paper? Heck, I would have volunteered to do it. They didn't know who was in what place other than the leaders, what lap anybody was on, or even when the race was over or who flipped.

Sorry but when I'm watching and listening to a race I want to hear about the race and the boats, not vacation homes in Tennessee. I already follow racing and know most of the boats and I was bored with the broadcast so I can't imagine what a new or potential fan would have thought about it.

I won't even mention the feed going out and listening to music and commercials (including one to come watch the race with 10 minutes of racing left) during the race.

Rant over...my humble suggestions are:

1. Have an assistant/statistician or two to keep track of laps, positions, listen to race control, look out the window, etc. The guys broadcasting should not have to keep track of all that or find out what's happening via text message.
2. When the racing is close like it was in Sarasota (at least in the second race there were 3 classes with the top boats within a minute of each other) talk about the racing.
3. When the racing is not close or you don't know what to talk about, talk about the boats (what brand hull, power, etc) or the race teams (the CURRENT ones, not who won Key West in 1985), the local teams, the rivalries.
4. If possible, time the commercials a little better. I know some of this is at the mercy of the local station who has to pay their bills too.

Sorry for the rant, I was just disappointed with the radio coverage while watching the race and I see some room for improvement and wanted to offer a few suggestions. I know the Livestream has improved over the past few years (more cameras, announcers talking about what's on screen instead of what they see, etc.) I certainly appreciate the Livestream coverage of races I can't make it to in person and want to see that continue to improve.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: HILLSBOROUGH, NJ OCEAN BEACH, NJ & LIDO KEY FLORIDA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree
Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1

I found it very difficult to listen to the broadcasters and at times turned down the audio simply because they were talking about anything but the races or boats they were watching. I would've loved to hear them talk more about the current teams and setups if they didn't have race details to talk about.

The live stream is an excellent concept for those of us that can't make it to all the races, but seemingly poorly executed.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I gotta say, after watching the Michigan City and Orange Beach Livestream broadcasts, you guys kicked ass! Both broadcasts were awesome, entertaining, informative, and very professional. Orange Beach was exceptional, what exciting races to watch, wish I could have been there live but you guys did great and really conveyed the excitement of the race on the broadcast. It made such a difference having someone there to help with counting laps, keeping track of boats, etc. By far the best live broadcast of a boat race I have ever seen.

I am very impressed and just wanted to say keep up the good work! I am looking forward to future Livestreams.

Oh and Stan, no need for Tony or anyone else to defend you. I know it's a hard job broadcasting a race live and you KILLED IT!

Seriously, I can't say enough good things about the last couple broadcasts!!