Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Super Boat International
Super Vee Role Call for Cocoa Beach? >

Super Vee Role Call for Cocoa Beach?

Notices

Super Vee Role Call for Cocoa Beach?

Old 03-19-2016, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not saying change the motor. What we have here are a lot of boats that for the most part race in either the North or the South. Now both orgs have races out of their normal region. Perfect sites for teams for both orgs to meet up and thrash it out. To eliminate those teams from competition, I think is counter productive. How again do these orgs get return race sites, turnout? I understand the 525 is no longer available. I think we all agree on that. SBI chose an engine package that is great. Problem is motor makes 50-70 hp more than the original 525 that a ton of these super vee's are running. This discussion is about coming together with a compromise. To say SBI isn't gonna change a thing null and voids any discussion on this topic and the boats will never come together. Why wouldn't you swap out a rev chip if it means another 10 boats in the milling area.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:06 AM
Registered

Those 10 extra boats going either direction equals revenue for both orgs. Why put 7 grand into a motor if it can go to the org for race and membership fees. Pay your entire year of fees up front to the org to show your commitment. I'm pretty sure both Smitty and JC would listen if a group came to them with a solid plan. Talk and then take action. Until then nothing will happen.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris if you read my post it said this year. You are talking about changing RPMs or whatever it is that you think you want to change who or what are you changing it for you don't have registered teams.... teams that are not registered with an organization do not have a vote. I realize what you're saying but I don't necessarily think that all the teams agree with you teams have spent a lot of money on preparing their boats to the RPM range and speed range that the rules call for prop changes and other changes would have to be made for the teams. They put a lot of hard work and testing and money spent on tweaking propellers. So to just say yes we're going to change things again I believe is the wrong thing again its trying to hit a moving Target and then in 6 months will want to change it again. The organization's make the rules not the teams if you look at any other sport the athletes or teams don't tell the organization's what to do. That leads to chaos because if we ever had a conference call with 15 people you would have 11 different opinions Randy and I have been there I'm sure he could vouch for what I'm saying no matter what changes you make not everyone is going to be happy. So as racers we need to decide to build a boat for the rules of where you're going to race if we're smart I agree with you we will try to get as compatible as possible within reason and put on a good show.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look what the Superboat classes done the org implemented a new motor package and stuck to it. New teams coming into the sport want to see that they don't want to invest money into a new boat and in 3 months later the engine or boat package changes that's absolutely ludicrous. There's a possibility you might see 15 Super Boats playing this year. I know of two brand new ones right now being built 1 Skater 1 MTI Plus the existing 10 we have now and a few used boats on the market. It doesn't matter what the rules are teams want stability we can't just keep on changing things because we feel like it. Teams want to know what they build and what they invest their money in is stable and has a future.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:36 AM
Registered

That is ME We run it in OPA #13 WeHaulBoats.com aka WHOZ YOUR DADDY
Old 03-19-2016, 11:38 AM
Registered

Which is why I said to come with a plan as a group. I'm pretty sure 15 men can come together and decide on an rpm limit, as an example, or whatever it may be. I'm sure others have their ideas.

Supercat worked out well but we're talking a completely different budget. Super Vee is an entry level class. You really can't compare the two.

All will have their own opinions and not all will agree.

Actually I'm gonna stop right here.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:48 AM
Registered

I’m glad that everyone is having an open discussion on an open forum. This is a great start to get everyone in SV or SVL on the same page. It would be great for both Orgs to run the same package and it appears SBI guys have a pretty good handle on a reasonable motor package, the 525 thing seems to be beating a dead horse these days. I’m all ears

Mike O
WeHaulBoats
6094571480 Cell
Old 03-19-2016, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Whats involved in converting my 525 wire harness with a new carb SBI motor? I have the smart craft and the newer version wire harness with more pins. Will any of that work?
Old 03-19-2016, 12:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Whats involved in converting my 525 wire harness with a new carb SBI motor? I have the smart craft and the newer version wire harness with more pins. Will any of that work?
Just cut all the wires LOL ,
Old 03-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

And for the record I have NEVER blown a Merc motor. That's 17 years with over 200 races and countless hours of testing. You can imagine why us OPA guy's like this package. HP to weight has been great for this class for years. More HP and RPM = more speed, more breakage, more danger, more drive issues. I understand and get the whole build your own spec motor. I just wish a little more thought would have gone into building a spec that couldn't make more than 525 HP. My fear is every year someone some how figures out how to make more HP. Call me a wimp but 100 MPH is getting to a speed we don't need to be going in a 30' boat with 10 other guy's around in turn one. Just my opinion. We all have choices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.