Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Superboat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/superboat-44/)
-   -   Rigging K-Planes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/superboat/118447-rigging-k-planes.html)

Pat McPherson 12-14-2005 07:47 PM

Rigging K-Planes

If we have covered this subject before, forgive me, as my memory is not as good as it once was...

I see that the K-planes are not being mounted parallel with the bottom of the boat on the new Y2Ks.
Why not?

I may be able to answer my second question. Why are the inner ends of the K-planes being trimmed? Is it because the prop might hit them?

And is it best to have the trim tabs mounted as far outboard as possible?

krakmeup 12-15-2005 05:39 AM

Re: Rigging K-Planes

I think this was talked about somewhere - my understanding is that the tabs should follow the angle of the Vee otherwise some racers have noted level placement causes squirrely effects at high speed.

Technically, My tabs can indeed still hit the prop, even after they have been trimmed. However, the drive would never be engaged in this position - I would have to be 100% trimmed (as in trailer full up) and the wheel turned to a right lock - I hope I never have my prop turning in this config! BTW, I once tried to trim them further, but my jigsaw blade only scratched the surface!!! I gave up and touched up the paint......

As for placement outboard, I can't answer that except in theory - that would allow you the shortest movement for the fastest tab effect.

These all sound like great Superfest topics over a cold one!!! I'm trying to see if I can make it, but not looking good right this moment, hope I can change some things......

Dave M 12-15-2005 08:10 AM

JCAP said that he wiped out a good prop by hitting the k-plane.

Superbabi 12-15-2005 11:58 AM

I took a chunk out of a a brand new labbed merc. 4 blade on the great south bay...................then my tabs were cut.

SUPERSTITIOUS 12-15-2005 02:27 PM

JC cut my tabs after Superbabi whacked his. I have the ITS and From what I can tell the prop being 7 1/2" further back I dont think they needed to be cut. BTW Ive seen a lot of fountains that have them mounted horisontal

Pat McPherson 12-15-2005 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by OH-ZONE
BTW Ive seen a lot of fountains that have them mounted horisontal

I've seen a couple of Kryptonites with them horizontal too.

OK guys we still don't have the theory bind this...
FX-10, Lightspeed, Fasteddy, Zuperboat where are you?

Superbabi 12-15-2005 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
I've seen a couple of Kryptonites with them horizontal too.

OK guys we still don't have the theory bind this...
FX-10, Lightspeed, Fasteddy, Zuperboat where are you?

Pat , just call JC :eek:

Pat McPherson 12-15-2005 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Superbabi
Pat , just call JC :eek:

Naaaaa...
What fun would that be? :p
Besides, do you think he knows?
Gary,
I did ask his when I saw your boat in the rigging shop.
I don't recall much of an answer... :rolleyes:

Superbabi 12-15-2005 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
Naaaaa...
What fun would that be? :p
Besides, do you think he knows?
Gary,
I did ask his when I saw your boat in the rigging shop.
I don't recall much of an answer... :rolleyes:

Pat so real, and so true, and by all means so funny !!!!

SUPERSTITIOUS 12-16-2005 10:18 PM

I suppose to exert less drag pushing straight down as opposed to pushing out to the sides