Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Superboat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/superboat-44/)
-   -   24 Super Back Seat Rot (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/superboat/212091-24-super-back-seat-rot.html)

jayhawk261 06-30-2009 09:51 PM

24 Super Back Seat Rot

5 Attachment(s)
A couple of weeks ago we found that the wood in my back seat had rotted out. Stepped on it to go up to the pad and went right through.

After talking with Jim at PPI Interiors, I decided to tackle the wood replacement myself. He gave me a step by step and told me to email or call with any questions. Not only have I not spent any money with him in the past, but he talked me out of spending money with him now and do it myself. The guys at PPI are first rate, and when it is time (financially) to do my interior, they will get the call!

Pictures of the rotted out seat attached. I spent 6 hours removing staples! Doing that in a 100+ degree garage was really fun!

jayhawk261 06-30-2009 09:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After getting it all apart, I picked up a new board from the lumber yard. I had it cut to size and then rounded the corners and sanded the edges. I put in the recommended 3/4" holes for drying the foam.

We cleaned the vinyl and then I hit the foam with Lysol to kill any mold that might still be there. It's ready to be reassembled once the vinyl dries from the cleaning.

Total spent including buying a staple gun is about $120.00. Losing 4 gallons of water in the heat = priceless! :eek:

More pics when it's finished tomorrow.

CMC 06-30-2009 10:43 PM

You may want to steam clean the foam if it did'nt come clean. Jim at PPI is a great guy,

jayhawk261 06-30-2009 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by CMC (Post 2900668)
You may want to steam clean the foam if it did'nt come clean. Jim at PPI is a great guy,

I've gotten the wood off of them, but they are still discolored somewhat where the rot out occurred. Where would I take the foam to have it cleaned?

CMC 07-01-2009 06:30 AM

Try Home Depot for a rental, or perhaps a good dry cleaner could help you.

rchevelle71 07-01-2009 06:33 AM

Dont forget to put some resin on that wood, or you will be doing this again in a few years.

krakmeup 07-01-2009 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by rchevelle71 (Post 2900765)
Dont forget to put some resin on that wood, or you will be doing this again in a few years.

STARBOARD it and forgettaboutit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cuposterchild 07-01-2009 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by krakmeup (Post 2900847)
STARBOARD it and forgettaboutit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind of what I was thinking. Jay any idea how it got so wet? Your cover doing its job? If there is something else contributing to it you might want to look into getting that fixed also.

jayhawk261 07-01-2009 09:42 AM

This is meant to be only a quick fix until we can get the whole interior completely re-done. If it lasts 2 years, we should be good. I looked into starboard, but it is way too expensive for this kind of fix.

What type of Resin are you talking about putting on the board? Can I get that at the Home Depot?

No idea how it got so wet. I know the boat sat in the water for quite a while with the previous owner. It is always covered and on a lift with me. I imagine the water damage and the rot began before I bought the boat.

rchevelle71 07-01-2009 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by jayhawk261 (Post 2900917)
This is meant to be only a quick fix until we can get the whole interior completely re-done. If it lasts 2 years, we should be good. I looked into starboard, but it is way too expensive for this kind of fix.

What type of Resin are you talking about putting on the board? Can I get that at the Home Depot?

No idea how it got so wet. I know the boat sat in the water for quite a while with the previous owner. It is always covered and on a lift with me. I imagine the water damage and the rot began before I bought the boat.

YES,

Any fiberglass resin will do to waterproof it, Home Depot, or any Auto parts store, no nned for epoxy or anything fancy. I realize you will be replacing in a few years anyhow, but its just good practice to resin any wood used in a boat, plus it will only cost ya like $10 for a quart of resin.