Business Handed down through generations

Notices

Business Handed down through generations

Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Business Handed down through generations

I have owned my business since 89 and it has had many up's and downs however in the last 8 years it has showed growth from one year to the next . I'm thinking in about another nine years my son who will be 31 can continue running the business I have built .
We who love our boats and the brands we support hope that the currant owners of these brands pass the build process down through generations . I know of boats that have been getting built for thirty five years but it would be nice to see these brands getting built for seventy plus years .

Coen who is now seventy could hand his business down to Jr and the brand could continue being built ! Is this the case ?
Attached Thumbnails Business Handed down through generations-3kf3i83m95kb5j75m3cce9fab698f25d517af.jpg  

Last edited by OCCJoe; 12-26-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Superboat looks like a Ghost Town ???

Last edited by Superbabi; 12-26-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Registered

I dont know what the plans are, but i can tell you if Jr was in charge, there would be a center console cuddy cabin model being built right now

hope everyone has a happy new year
Old 12-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Well I've never met Jr . I know he's voiced his opinion to me through eddie's account a few times . In the end some people just can't run a business . I know rite now my son couldn't do it but I'm hoping over the next few years something will click .

For me I can do every job in my business and this allows me to keep the QC and my employes have respect for me knowing that I know what I'm looking at and what i'm talking about .

I don't think I've ever seen Coen Sr in all his glory but I've heard that he could design , build , rig and drive with the best of them . By the time I met him he just seemed to have lost the passion for building boats . Boats are supposed to make people happy , yet here is a man that is pis$ed off at the world and has such a negative attitude toward every idea that is proposed to him .

I just hope that Jr can lay up boats , rig like his dad , and be willing to grow and continue to create new products that people will desire . And then maybe he will have something to pass down to his children so the Superboat name will live on ..
Old 12-31-2012, 08:17 AM
Registered

yeah its sad when you drive by there and there is nothing going on....gotta cost a ton to keep that building and lot just sitting there and not earning anything.....

I dont know if JR has the desire to build boats and i think he has a decent business of his own that he runs....

Honestly at 70 if i was john i would think of putting the whole thing up for sale and see what happens....Let someone buy it and revamp some of the designs and market the boats and they could probably be a small but profitable boat builder....The thing is you gotta keep up with the changing times and people want different things.....right now fast center consoles with liners and cabins are the rage....i bet the 34 would make a good fast tripple engined CC given some updates....the 21 people love the old one so bring back the old deck.....there needs to be a boat in between the 24 and the 30 in a center console version....things like that....I dont wanna build boats but if i did i would try to work something out with john....

the example i always use in the fact that you can be a small succesful boat builder is Steiger Craft....i Worked there for a short time and they build between 75-150 boats a year depending on the times and they make a living doing it....But they keep changing the boats for the better and to what the consumer is asking for....are they the best boat out there No but they have a following and build a really nice utilitarian style boat and they care about what they build.....they will also customize anything on any boat to the customers liking without giving them a hard time...the offer there input but if a customer wants no seats at all in the boat he gets no seats.....if he wants the floor painted purple he gets it purple....LOL.....thats what a Small CUSTOM boat builder does....

Last edited by GEORGE YURICK; 12-31-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:55 PM
Registered

Rick???? Rick????.......
Hopefully someone steps up to the plate , and keeps these boats going.
May have to do a " power match " type of company like so many boats are today with Mercury. [ keeps total price of package down when you buy motors exclusively from one manufacturer. May be time to re-vamp the line up, Y2k is a great success, may be time to go back to the roots and build 24's in closed deck and center consoles. How about a
26' X 7' 6" closed bow and a center console model with a mini cabin in the bow like the Scarabs.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Rick has moved to North Carolina to enjoy the warmer weather . Keep an eye out for those 24's in closed bow sit down , Open canopy poker run , and an open fisherman .
Old 12-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OBUMMER will do everything possible to make sure YOU don't
Old 12-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

he's got his hand stuck in the pocket of my wheel shop already . so what if he gets a little more at this point
Old 01-06-2013, 01:18 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I know jr pretty well and know sr somewhat. I have not seen jr in a few months, but up until then he wasn't running his own business and I'm pretty sure he still isn't. As far as it costing a "ton" to run the shop---- have you seen the shop ? It has changed locations over the years, but it's basically a garage, maybe slightly bigger. As far as jr taking over, who knows. Him and sr have banged heads forever and it kinda drove jr away from the building end of it, but he still is very interested in boat racing and cruising and who knows what the future may bring. I would love to see it work. sr makes a great product, it would be nice for it to continue. Who knows, maybe one day discovery channel will turn it into a series, and for those of you who don't know sr and jr, it would be very entertaining, sound familiar ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.