Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Superboat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/superboat-44/)
-   -   Y2k or 288 Sunsation??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/superboat/79964-y2k-288-sunsation.html)

FASTERDAMITT 05-26-2004 01:53 PM

Y2k or 288 Sunsation???

Ok, new to Offshore Only but been lurking for a long time. I just sold my American Offshore 2600sc 100mph boat. With insurance companys puttin the hurt on cats and the fact I would like some cabin space to nap, I'm lookin into a mid size V. The two I like are the Superboat Y2K and the Sunsation 288. I know the overall handling ect. of the Sunsation, however I can't find any reports on the Superboat 7' beam and deep vee, no pad may chine walk or porpouis. Any inputs here??

z.zuperboat 05-26-2004 02:29 PM

Re: Y2k or 288 Sunsation???

go to (superboatonline.com) for specks.I have a tempest with a y2k bottom.No chinewalk, cuts thru like butter,very dry ride,no porpouis.It does have a slite pad and triple step.I dont think john can make them any faster so you better order now.My favorite is the one with twin small blocks.now thats going to be a boat.

FASTERDAMITT 05-26-2004 03:06 PM

Cool Cool. A couple more questions please. I did'nt know it had a pad. Do you know how long and wide it is? I was also concerned about headroom in the cabin. Does it work for you? I'm 6' .

SUPERBASH 05-26-2004 03:10 PM

Z.zuperboat

"A picture's worth a thousand words". No more "Babylon excuses". FASTERDAMMIT,
SUPERBOATS have a "padded Vee". And straight as an arrow. What set up would you run to do your "100". (order now for next year).

FASTERDAMITT 05-26-2004 03:22 PM

I'm a big fan of stock mercruiser bottom ends. I ran a stock merc bottom end on my A/O with good heads cam ect.. Procharged @7lbs. Has over 300 hrs and still runs great when I sold it. Something similar maybe Brodix or Edelbrock heads lookin for 700 to 800 hp @ 5400 rpm.

SUPERBASH 05-26-2004 04:36 PM

Cool Dude

1 Attachment(s)
Up close shot I just took of my 24 step pad vee. I'm dropping by SB tomorrow. I"ll get a shot of the Y2K bottom. You will be a star in Cali with one of these bad boys! OH, I see you're from Palm Springs. I was stationed at Marine Corps Base 29 Palms, 85-86. Hot as a mutha. Later.

Pat McPherson 05-26-2004 06:54 PM

Hey Superbash,
Maybe you can give tripps and ZZ lessons :D
We should all pitch in and get JC a new computer and digital...
I can't wait to see some shots of the two small blocks shoehorned into a Y2K. I have only heard of the unbeatable 30s with twin 400cube small blocks...

HebertNecessity 05-26-2004 10:15 PM

I have been debating the same question, Sunsation builds a great boat and with the new fairing and dash it's the best looking, the cabin seems nice and the new bottom should be good. If you want glitz go for the Sunsation.
The Superboat should save you alot of coin, have a better ride and give you 3-5mph better top end with equal power.
Both hulls are put together well from what I've seen.

Hugh

FASTERDAMITT 05-26-2004 11:10 PM

Superbash,
Thanks for the pic. I'm lookin forward to the pic of the Y2K bottom, please! It looks as if the 24 you have will perform well with that bottom. It's about the same as the center pod my American Offshore had.
Yes it's still hot as sh*t here. I moved here in 1988 from Ohio. Got tired of the winters.

Dave M 05-27-2004 05:47 AM

Hey faster,

I posted on your thread in the GD too. I didn't want to brag about Superboat too much there cause the bashers would start coming out.

A Y2K and a 288 are no comparision with equal power. My friends 288 454 Mag/Whipple has a hard time out running my 24 with stock 454 Mag in ANY water.

Superboats are of race heritage. What kind of race history does Sunsation have?

Who needs cup holders and a sink anyway! :D