New Life For My Old 30'

Notices

New Life For My Old 30'

Old 11-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Life For My Old 30'

My '86 Ocean Pacer had a leak in an exhaust riser which took out the center two pistons on the port bank of the port engine. The boat had 420's with milder cams that had been rebuilt once, as near as I can tell. A leakdown test on the starboard engine showed it was fine. I initially planned to rebuild the port engine with an RMBuilder spec'd roller cam, install new exhaust and run it for a season in that mismatched condition, then do at least the cam in the starboard engine the following winter, but I changed my mind.

Now it's getting two new 500HP motors with HP525 cams and Imco exhaust. I had some extraneous holes and blemishes filled in the transom and re-gel coated. It has freshly rebuilt and powder coated transom assemblies and new trim cylinders and lines. The engines are supposed to be at the shop next week. Maryland Offshore Performance in Rockville, MD is doing the work.
Attached Thumbnails New Life For My Old 30'-sutphenrp1.jpg   New Life For My Old 30'-sutphenrp2.jpg  
Old 11-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Registered

Should see low to mid 80s with the right props. Those 500s will wake that hull right up! Good Luck SC
Old 11-08-2007, 08:19 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

sounds like a good game plan.
i cant believe there's a marine performance shop in rockville!
Old 11-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Stormrider
sounds like a good game plan.
i cant believe there's a marine performance shop in rockville!
So far they seem to do very nice work and actually make consistant progress. My shop is right around the corner. I try to stop in when they are working on someone else's boat so it doesn't show up on my time sheet ;-).
Old 01-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm going to redo the interior now as well and re-paint the exterior stripes. I'm having a tough time deciding what to do to straddle the line between updating and retaining the classic looks. I like old school performance boats. I just got the most recent copy of "Powerboat" magazine and it occurred to me that there was not one boat in the whole magazine that I liked the looks of. The look of old race Magnums is the sort of thing I prefer.

I'm planning to repaint the red stripes black with a 1" red border in the same location as it is now. That would sort of pick up the feel of the all black hull sides that were common in the 70's and retain the graphic pattern that I see on many Sutphens. I'm thinking of retaining the pleats in the upholstery, but in all white, lose the piping and have the stitching in red. Powder coat the grab handles red, add handles to the back of the bolsters and the Sutphen logo in red. Red dash panels, new switches, retain the newer white gauges, Livorsi red knobs and polished alloy shaft shifters and red speaker covers. Keeping the teak cabin doors. Lonseal light gray floor.

The engines are allegedly complete. When they arrive at the shop, they will be painted. Engines accessories have been sent to the powder coater.

I love what US MUSL did with his interior. Flattery by imitation.
Attached Thumbnails New Life For My Old 30'-sutphen-interior.jpg   New Life For My Old 30'-sutphen-dash.jpg   New Life For My Old 30'-cig-classic-cockpit.jpg  

Last edited by Jammin'; 02-07-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Progress:
Attached Thumbnails New Life For My Old 30'-sutstripdash.jpg   New Life For My Old 30'-sutnewdash1.jpg   New Life For My Old 30'-sutredengine.jpg  

Old 01-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Engine mock up:
Attached Thumbnails New Life For My Old 30'-sutenginemock1.jpg  
Old 01-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Moving along:
Attached Thumbnails New Life For My Old 30'-dashprog1.jpg   New Life For My Old 30'-dashprog2.jpg   New Life For My Old 30'-dashprog3.jpg  

Old 01-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

More:
Attached Thumbnails New Life For My Old 30'-img_0182.jpg   New Life For My Old 30'-img_0184.jpg   New Life For My Old 30'-img_0185.jpg  

Quick Reply: New Life For My Old 30'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.