Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Sutphen (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sutphen-64/)
-   -   Sutphen History & race boat registry (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sutphen/222857-sutphen-history-race-boat-registry.html)

TOASTY 01-16-2010 09:27 AM

Sutphen History & race boat registry

Hi Gang!

I am sure some of you are aware of Sutphen History; but this morning in my fathers extensive collection of interesting books, i once again came across information i found when i bought my 30' Sutphen race in early 2000s. I would like to share that info with you all.

In a book titled United States PT -Boats of World War II by frank D Johnson, i reread what inspired me to buy my boat.

The book goes into detail with regard to Henry Sutphen who was a member of the ELCO boat Co. ELCO constructed PT boats for the British and American Navy fleet which helped to win WWII. Along with a great description of Henry Sutphens’ involvement, was a congratulatory letter from the US Navy.

Along with the great owners my 30' 3 man race boat has had the privilege to serve, I appreciate the history of the Sutphen family and how their ideas, and hard work helped to WIN a war. I can proudly state that the Sutphen communities are a fine, classy, and unique bunch. In addition Sutphen owners seem to have a bit more individuality and intellect then the rest.

I would like to put together a registry of 1st the 30’ race boat hulls then move onto the larger boat hulls. If people can provide some info and pictures that would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Chris M. Del Collo
[email protected]

wstultz 01-16-2010 10:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Amen!

My old 1982 30 was raced in the POPBPA (?) in the eighties under the name All Risk. It was then sold to the owners I bought it from and eventually left for dead until I found her about five years ago. Unfortunately, I have found very little info about her racing career on the west coast. She is now in Boston but will hopefully soon be making her way back to Texas.

818181 01-16-2010 11:17 AM

Sutphen Registry

2 Attachment(s)
Toasty, Add "INFERNO" to the list. I too am lucky to have such a great boat, with alot of history. 33 yrs. old & still crushin' waves!

818181 01-16-2010 11:18 AM

Sutphen

Older pic's

TOASTY 01-16-2010 12:44 PM

ok so far this is what i have, i like the way the other gang did a count with race 41s. I would like to do something similar.
Thank you very much for your photos. Please help me with years and names if you know. All pictures are a great help and keep the interest alive. Also if you have any unique stories that surround your sutphen please share! I know lucky has some great pictures so please post and i will save them on a drive!!

List so far for 30 race Sutphen:
1. Inferno
2. Great Adventure
3. All Risk
4. Nick the Greek / Magical / Magic J / 911 / Toasty (all same boat)
5. Flap jack
6. Caliente
7. Execution Express
8. Magic Gems (all white)
9. Surface Grinder ( orange)
10. BUSH
11. Doller Bill

Crash-Box 01-16-2010 05:47 PM

Sutphen Registry

Toasty,

Add " Endless Flight " M-711
Originally commissioned by Bobby Baberri
in Rochester Mass. He had selectively
ran her only a few times in the north east
division. I had purchased her in 1991 in
Noank ship yard in Ct. and brought her to
Florida in 1993, sold in1995.
Set up was a pair of 406" ,side exhaust,
long dash, 3rd. out of mold in 1977.
White deck and bottom with black sides,
name was hand painted in goldleaf with
red border trim.

Crash-Box

wstultz 01-16-2010 07:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics of the boats listed that I have collected over the years. I took none of them so I hope they aren't copywrited.:party-smiley-004:

wstultz 01-16-2010 07:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More...

TOASTY 01-16-2010 07:07 PM

1. Inferno
2. Great Adventure
3. All Risk
4. Nick the Greek / Magical / Magic J / 911 / Toasty (all same boat)
5. Flap jack
6. Caliente
7. Execution Express
8. Magic Gems (all white)
9. Surface Grinder ( orange)
10. BUSH
11. Doller Bill
12. Endless Flight

Wow Crash box! That boat sounds wicked!!! please post some pictures, i would love to see the detail in that boat. Where is she now? amazing 12 boats so far, i know there has to be more. The most winning factory or production boat, Sutphen!!
hey why cant i view these additional pics. hmmm

Old Ride 01-16-2010 07:28 PM

We are restoring the Great Adventure P-1, APBA US-1 77/78 I'll post pics soon.