Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Sutphen (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sutphen-64/)
-   -   Another Sutphen born again (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sutphen/290413-another-sutphen-born-again.html)

wstultz 01-20-2013 09:36 PM

Another Sutphen born again

6 Attachment(s)
Okay Fellas, I'm sure you all remember this boat that was for sale a few years ago. Well, I bought it, brought it back to texas, and drove it like i stole it for a few times before it let go. Fried a main bearing in one of the engines so I figured, what the hell, I will strip it to a bare hull and start over. Through this thread I will show its progression and, although I am still not finished, it is close enough to run.

Enjoy

wstultz 01-20-2013 09:44 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here is how she looks today.....

wstultz 01-20-2013 09:53 PM

She was stripped to bare hull, fiberglass work was done, she was painted, engines rebuild (uppers and lowers ,both), every piece of transom hardware was taken apart and sandblasted and painted. Also, Every piece of hardware and rigging, plastic or other, was thrown away and replaced with stainless, including: rub rail, all through hull fittings, guage bezels, steering wheel, exhaust tips, engine vents, cockpit cover snaps, grab rails and step plates. All upholstery was redone (still working on completeing that, should be done end of this week) in a carbon fiber pattern white with silver carbon inlays, as well as, embroidered headrests with the Sutphen "S". All cabin, interior cockpit, and engine compartment lighting has been thrown away and replaced with l.e.d. I got rid of the closed cooling system, took out the silent choice crap, and replaced the 80lbs per side cast exhaust with aluminum replacements. I'm sure I am forgetting something.....Also, some future projects are new throttles, guages, and a built in GPS where the compass was above the dash.

wstultz 01-20-2013 10:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some more...

wstultz 01-20-2013 10:05 PM

I went with the "less is more" theory on the exterior/interior color scheme and design. It turned out better than I originally expected. I can't put them up tonight but I will post pics of the boat throughout the process of rebuild in the next few weeks.

tomtbone1993 01-20-2013 10:08 PM

Looks awesome!! Great redo

Crash-Box 01-20-2013 10:17 PM

What a transformation , nice job !!!

wstultz 01-20-2013 10:20 PM

7 Attachment(s)
started with a love/hate relationship. Loved the boat/ hated the colors and condition it was in.:daz:

wstultz 01-20-2013 10:24 PM

Was on my fifth or sixth run and......uh oh! that doesn't sound right. Wasn't planning on a total redo but when I found out one of the engines was chunked I figured, might as well pull both and redo them. When the engines came out I figured, might as well pull the drives and transom assymblies off and redo them. Then figured, might as well pull off everything else and get rid of this pink and purple $hit. Then it all goes down hill from there and my o.c.d. kicked in as well as my bank account, ouch.

wstultz 01-20-2013 10:33 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Boat got torn to pieces....and I started a second project along with this one. Couldn't find a place big enough to paint it in so I decided to build my own around the boat. As if I don't have enough to do.