Trade or sell SSM IIs for TRS drives >

Trade or sell SSM IIs for TRS drives

Notices

Trade or sell SSM IIs for TRS drives

Old 09-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

I dont know exactly but when I leveled my drives to adjust the trim indicators the lower acticavation plate was level with the bottom of the boat. If I swinging a 15" prop, then my X dimension is about 7-8 inches. From what I know this is not optimal for this type of drive at all. Even though it may be cool to have a 12000# resin bucket that can do 70 + mph with twin turbos, it is not set up properly to take advantage of the drive AND it sucks to get up on plane. I'm sure on a Chris Cat the drives are much higher than what I have. I'd like to know what Reggie set the X dimension at on the 10 meters that had these engines/drives.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

. . . Reggie liked everything short so he could feel like he was in common company . . .

I've been out on the boat, its definitly a super slow plane time . . . the slightest misstep in throttle control and the props slip and you have to start all over again. Might be set-up for racing, but not for a typical Lk St. Clair fun boat with a little speed. I've tried to suggest plane time dosn't matter, but there is also the issue of St. Clair being so shallow.

I think the bissgest issue is prop selection/cost for the SSM II drives vs. standard TRS.

Can anyone suggest other ideas to get this planing faster?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

I would just look for some TRS lowers an put them on. A lot less expensive to experiment with. Contacts Dubberts in Ohio and see if he has any laying around. Great guys over there.

http://www.dubbertsoutdrive.com/
Old 09-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

4 blade props would help alot....trim tabs all the way down.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=Biggus;3778231]SSMII is 1" longer than the TRS (input shaft to prop shaft) Your prop shaft height will be raised 1" when swapping to the TRS.[/QUOTE

Biggus has it correct
Old 09-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by kreed
4 blade props would help alot....trim tabs all the way down.
Ive found a set of 4 blade 17x22 for a decent price, but I'm hesitant because true surfacing props have a lot of blade area because the whole prop is not in the water. In my application the whole prop is buried so i would have even more blade area putting stress on the drive. kinda a catch 22 situation. Ive tried with the tabs all the way down and that kinda works, but it is a very delicate balancing act of throttles, tabs up, drives up, more throttle, drives up more. If I don't do it all timed right then the boat just falls off plane and I have to start over.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by phughes69
Ive found a set of 4 blade 17x22 for a decent price, but I'm hesitant because true surfacing props have a lot of blade area because the whole prop is not in the water. In my application the whole prop is buried so i would have even more blade area putting stress on the drive. kinda a catch 22 situation. Ive tried with the tabs all the way down and that kinda works, but it is a very delicate balancing act of throttles, tabs up, drives up, more throttle, drives up more. If I don't do it all timed right then the boat just falls off plane and I have to start over.
have you tried swapping the drives and spinning the props inwards?
Old 09-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Are you guys sayin I should trade my TRS for these #2's??? Hahaha....
With your power no way, you'll blow one and be out for 3 weeks, at 500-550hp I would
Old 09-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
have you tried swapping the drives and spinning the props inwards?
Will that give me stern lift?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

are you guys sayin i should trade my trs for these #2's??? Hahaha....
aah noooooooooooo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.