Notices

Hello All!

Old 01-05-2009, 11:51 AM
IB Tech Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by indywhsle
I can't find an option for spell check when starting a thread. I just hate thinking that I may start a thread and look dumb with my spelling. I already look dumb with my opinion. I don't need another fault.
In the upper right of the advanced editor, you should see a spell check button.

Originally Posted by indywhsle
also I do not have the option for smilies. this also stays true when responding. The quote box doesn't seem to work either. I do know I am dumb, but please help!
I'm not following your problem here...

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Happy New Year Dick! Glad you are here to help....
Same to you!
Old 01-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

I would like to see some more smilies or some new ones. I would also like to see the search funtion improved. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way its set up now it does not have a feature to search with two words. For example if I search for "fountain 24" it will bring up all threads with fountain OR 24, instead of only threads with fountain and 24. See http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/search.cgi they have a "or" and a "&" keyword search option.

Glad you are on board. Lots of good boaters here that don't want to run a website or babysite one. I think its great to have a company like IB to run it all professionaly.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:57 PM
IB Tech Guy

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I would like to see some more smilies or some new ones. I would also like to see the search funtion improved. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way its set up now it does not have a feature to search with two words. For example if I search for "fountain 24" it will bring up all threads with fountain OR 24, instead of only threads with fountain and 24. See http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/search.cgi they have a "or" and a "&" keyword search option.

Glad you are on board. Lots of good boaters here that don't want to run a website or babysite one. I think its great to have a company like IB to run it all professionaly.
Regarding smiles, Speedgirl should be able to add them. I can add them, however I never want to step on the toes of the forum leadership-- so if she specifically asks me to, I will. I would recommend starting a thread in this section with some smiles that you'd like added and we can start a dialogue about adding them.

The current search will allow you to search for multiple words, however there is a character limit on words for which it will search, which I believe is three characters on this forum. For example, if you did a search for "IB-Dick read the cat and the hat" it would only searsh for "IB-Dick read" because the other words are too short. If you search for "IB-Dick read about isosceles triangles" then it would search for all those words.

One problem this forum has is with names like "Fountain 24". It's got a bunch of them, and that 24 is an issue.

Fortunately, we have some hope. We have a "whitelist" that we can add words to that will be included in the search regardless of their characters. I'll go ahead and add "24" to that whitelist.

Does anyone else have words (or numbers) that are under three characters that they'd like me to add to the whitelist?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IB-Dick

Fortunately, we have some hope. We have a "whitelist" that we can add words to that will be included in the search regardless of their characters. I'll go ahead and add "24" to that whitelist.

Does anyone else have words (or numbers) that are under three characters that they'd like me to add to the whitelist?

Dick

Probably some engine sizes? 454, 350, 502 & 540
Old 01-07-2009, 11:46 AM
IB Tech Guy

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Dick

Probably some engine sizes? 454, 350, 502 & 540
Added!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by IB-Dick
Regarding smiles, Speedgirl should be able to add them. I can add them, however I never want to step on the toes of the forum leadership-- so if she specifically asks me to, I will. I would recommend starting a thread in this section with some smiles that you'd like added and we can start a dialogue about adding them.

The current search will allow you to search for multiple words, however there is a character limit on words for which it will search, which I believe is three characters on this forum. For example, if you did a search for "IB-Dick read the cat and the hat" it would only searsh for "IB-Dick read" because the other words are too short. If you search for "IB-Dick read about isosceles triangles" then it would search for all those words.

One problem this forum has is with names like "Fountain 24". It's got a bunch of them, and that 24 is an issue.

I think you misunderstood my post. I understand you can search with multiple words, but I want to search for threads with ONLY the multiple words I used, not just one of them. If I search "cone clutch" I want threads with only the word cone AND clutch. Currently when I run that search it brings every single thread with the word cone OR clutch.......which give me a bunch of results. I bleive the technical word I'm looking for is bolean search function. Other forums can do this search by searching for "cone & clutch." Or if they want just one of the multiple words they use "cone OR clutch." Did you even look at the link I posted? Look at it - it has a keyword option.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 01-07-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by itilldo
hey Dick,, glad your here and I hope you can help some of the members get the bad taste out of their mouth

I'll have to try that line on my GF sometime
Old 01-08-2009, 07:11 PM
IB Tech Guy

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I think you misunderstood my post. I understand you can search with multiple words, but I want to search for threads with ONLY the multiple words I used, not just one of them. If I search "cone clutch" I want threads with only the word cone AND clutch. Currently when I run that search it brings every single thread with the word cone OR clutch.......which give me a bunch of results. I bleive the technical word I'm looking for is bolean search function. Other forums can do this search by searching for "cone & clutch." Or if they want just one of the multiple words they use "cone OR clutch." Did you even look at the link I posted? Look at it - it has a keyword option.
You are correct, I did misunderstand. You are also correct in the assumption that there is little we can do about it. However, if you do an advanced search and tell it to sort based on relevancy, you'll have a better chance of getting useful results. Also, on that advanced search page you can save that as your preference.

Originally Posted by VtSteve
I'll have to try that line on my GF sometime
*ZING*
Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Registered

Default Delete a thread?

I can't seem to delete a thread. I go in to edit this thread but can't seem to find the button for deleting. I know it can be done I just haven't learned it yet. Thanks in advance for your time in helping.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Registered

Exclamation ok how do we

ok im new here so how do we put our pro file pic can any one help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.