Banana Bend >

Banana Bend

Notices

Banana Bend

Old 06-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banana Bend

We made our first run up the San Jac river to Banana Bend. I can't believe it took us this long to make it up there. Great area, beaches, and nice run. We took about 6-8 boats up and had a blast. We will definetly be back, if I can find my way across those open areas. Once you get into the river it is no problem.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gerrit, It is an awesome trip. I always enjoy it. BUT, after the railroad bridge, you REALLY have to watch it. Boats run aground there all the time. It is the tricky part. But I really like the run up there. Go alot. Tommy
Old 06-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Registered

Saw all you guys fly past the house. Nice looking rigs. Next time go to Dalmation Island. Thats where the boaters hang out, NOT Banana Bend.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gilman
Saw all you guys fly past the house. Nice looking rigs. Next time go to Dalmation Island. Thats where the boaters hang out, NOT Banana Bend.

Is Dalmation Island the island right past Banana Bend? Thats where we were on Saturday. Great place. We also like to go further up to Newport Beach.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gilman
We stopped at Banana Bend because that's where everyone else was at. Where is the island? We saw a bunch of boats further up the river, past the no wake area and some of the guys have gone and beached there. We saw Plum Crazy go by and head that way. I am not too sure of where I am going. Kind of following the crowd, till I get to know the area.

Tommy, it's nice to have another destination, let us know when you are going, we would like to tag along. Are you trying to tell me you have personal experience with the shallows? The area past the railroad bridge looked fairly well marked. As a matter of fact most of the main channels in the flats looked like they were marked, but typical Murphy's Law, my gps quit sometime after the bridge, so I am not too sure how much I got on my tracks.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gerritm
We stopped at Banana Bend because that's where everyone else was at. Where is the island? We saw a bunch of boats further up the river, past the no wake area and some of the guys have gone and beached there. We saw Plum Crazy go by and head that way. I am not too sure of where I am going. Kind of following the crowd, till I get to know the area.
Where you saw the boats further up past the no wake zone is where we were. Great area and only way to get there is by boat. I know Visual Contact and they had planned to come up to the island but like you, pulled into BB instead. We only make it up to San Jac a couple of times during the summer, but a great place and alot different than Conroe.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Registered

So where is the best place to launch when going out on the San Jac? I've never been... is it best to follow someone else for first time or is it marked well enough to just be careful?
Old 06-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kfvintx
So where is the best place to launch when going out on the San Jac? I've never been... is it best to follow someone else for first time or is it marked well enough to just be careful?
Riverside is the best place to launch. Magnolia Drive off of
I-10. And yes its best to follow someone a few times. Once you leave Riverside and go under a railroad bridge you do have a few buoys where it opens up, but very easy to get off in the shallows. Once you get into the river, an easy run to Banana Bend.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:14 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a satelite image of the river from Lynchburg ferry to Rio Villa.

You can see the old pre 1994 flood river banks fairly well.
Attached Thumbnails Banana Bend-lynchburg-rio-villa.jpg  

Last edited by Wobble; 06-22-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:44 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the run from Rio Villa to Magnolia Gardens. Newport Beach is further north.

The only bad spot is by the second trestle adjacent to Loves marina.

The main trestle is sanded up at low tide and you have to use the second and third spans from the West bank instead.
Attached Thumbnails Banana Bend-rv-mag-garden.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.