Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   Best Chip/Upgrades for Duramax (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/100729-best-chip-upgrades-duramax.html)

JROMY 04-15-2005 09:01 AM

Best Chip/Upgrades for Duramax

I just bought a 2005 Duramax Chevy and am seriously thinking about adding a chip/exhaust/etc. to it. What does everyone recommend? How does the Banks system compare to the Edge? I'm also looking to hold onto this truck for 5+ years, so I'd really prefer to not blow up the engine or the transmission. I am assuming all of these products void the warranty. In the event of a problem, can you unplug them, get warranty work done, and then plug them back in, or will the truck's computer alert the dealer that the chip was installed? Thanks for any info.

jordy 04-15-2005 10:48 AM

Re: Best Chip/Upgrades for Duramax

Edge, hands down. I've run one on my truck for 30K miles and not had any problems, that includes trips down the drag strip. I'm running on 285's to boot. Personally, I think it's the best performance hop up on the market. I'm also running Gibson exhaust and a K&N FIPK kit, which they just came out with for the LLY recently. :cool:

Wally 04-15-2005 11:37 AM

Buddy of mine also had an Edga chip......all i can say is WOW!!!! i have never been so surprised at a diesel truck performance before in my life!! :)

JROMY 04-15-2005 01:02 PM

I've heard some stories with certain chips blowing up motors (primarily Fords). Anyone heard of problems with the Edge? Also - does the Edge interface with both the transmission and motor? I believe the Banks product does.

Wally 04-15-2005 01:20 PM

Funny you should mention Fords.....after My buddy installed his on the D-max another guy liked the results and wanted teh same for his excursion.....bought the package and couldnt get it to work for the life of him. Shipped back to Edge they shipped a new one and it didnt want to work either! Even with tech support on the phone giving step by step instructions and with two different people trying it just wouldnt take! :(
I have no idea about the trans issue.

asg 04-15-2005 05:00 PM

I had an edge on my 2003, But I am going to get the Banks setup for the 2005. I was told that the LLy motor is harder to upgrade and the edge doesn't work as well as the Banks for this motor. Edge is still the best for the older Duramax motor.

JPD Motorsports 04-17-2005 02:23 PM

tts extreme if you want the bad boy www.ttspowersystems.com , change out your ecm and put in a new one, keep the stock one for when you have to goto the stealer.. or a quadzilla with a flip switch, easy to remove like the edge.

JROMY 04-18-2005 10:54 AM

Thanks everyone - I'll keep you posted.

Madmax 04-19-2005 12:45 PM

There have been some problems with the Edge on LLY motors, but I believe they JUST fixed it. You will either want to wait a lil bit to make sure you get the latest version, or buy one now and send it back to Edge to get reprogrammed with the latest version.

Or you could buy the Predator programmer. I'm running mine with that, and wow is all I can say. Plus it can read and clear codes, plus do diagnostics also. Best part is you just dump the factory tune back in it before it goes to the dealer and nothing was ever there. The Predator for the LLY is pretty much the most popular right now, prob till Edge gets theres working correctly.

Once Edge gets there's fixed, it will be the best choice. :drink:

JROMY 04-19-2005 03:32 PM

Another question - how does the cat back exhaust systems work compared to removing the cat and doing a full turbo-back exhaust :eek: ?