Notices

Questions for corvette experts?

Old 11-19-2005, 10:23 AM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for corvette experts?

I'm looking for a used corvette ( 1998-2002 ) I have several questions maybe someone could help me with. I'm sure every year they made refinements and improvement but is there a huge difference between a 98 and a 2002. Given a choice between a mint low mileage 98 and a 2002 with say 50-70 thousand miles both for the same price which would you choose? I like the 98 Indy Pace car, are the decals the only thing that are different from the standard corvette. Thanks for any replies and if you have any other comments or things I should be looking for I appreciate the heads up.

Thanks Kirk
Old 11-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Questions for corvette experts?

I might be getting a 02 Black on Black convertible, auto, chrome wheels ect ect on trade in. If interested Tom 66K miles
Old 11-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

There are several things to look for in the C5 vettes.
Column lock sticking
Battery leaking
Rear end leaks
Oil consumption
Elec problems
Computer problems
Gas gauge problems
HVAC lights going bad.
Bad AC compressor
Not all C5's had these problems, and I would think very few if any had them all. best to check at any chev dealer with the vin # any recorded work can be found out about. Its a nation wide data base.
Buy the newest one with the least miles you can afford. The 98 pace isnt a real popular car. 50-70k miles isnt too bad. Stay away from hi mile lease returns if possiable. Carfax can give you that info. Be real careful of the salvage title cars. Cheap but bad news alot of times. Buy private party if possible, that way you can tell if its been abused or raced.
Ive got a 2001 blk/blk targa coupe, automatic, loaded with all options.
14K miles and a warrantee for 4 more years. Better then new. minor appearance mods, no engine mods....30K and its yours.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Registered

Check out this link. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeromain
Old 11-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bnk190
I agree.....
A couple of other good ones are

www.c5forum.com and
www.corvetteactioncenter.com

Great info on all of them
Old 11-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Registered

I agree with DanB about buying the newer one. That will be your best bet.
As far as the problems listed about the vette, do not be discouraged!
You will find a billion "problems" with ANY car you do a search for.
Out of all the C5 Vettes I have owned I have never experienced any of the problems that seem to happen.
Never.
Do some research on the net then you'll know what to look for and what to ask about when you do decide which vette to buy.
Good Luck and ENJOY!!!!
Old 11-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Registered

I've had 5 c5s and the only problems I ever saw were on my ex'es 00 coupe/column lock stuck, rearend leaked, rear main seal leaked and two right side window regulators, all on the same car. The rest of them never saw a shop except my own for maintiance,,,gotta agree, take the vin of what your thinking about buying to your friendly neighborhood gm service dept and they can tell you the history of what your looking at and probably save you some headaches...With corvettes the newer the better...older corvettes are sometimes owned by people that want the status but cant really afford to take care of them properly.
Just my humble opinion.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Registered

Newer is better, an older one with lower miles in most cases just spent more time sitting idle which usually, Unless it was a meticulous collector, is bad news. Very important, look at the owner of the car, his knowledge of the corvette is very important if he does not seem to care much of the cars ancestry, you better hope his mechanic did. If they did not use synthetic mobil one or a much higher end choice in synthetic oil, like royal purple, you do not want the car. Old service records can be a key to what level of maintenance the car had. Check out the weather stripping around the doors, above the windows, and near the targa, it can tell some good stories.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:02 PM
KN
Registered

Thank You for all the advice.

Kirk
Old 11-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

My father has a 2000 C5 he ordered new. It has about 12K miles on it. The steering column locking up is a known issue and a recall on all of them. His rear differential also leaked and was fixed under warranty.

I agree with what was said above. Check over every inch of the car. Older with fewer miles is not neccessarily bad though. It all depends on the owner's habits. My Father's is literally the Sunday car club rally only driver.

Quick Reply: Questions for corvette experts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.