Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
High Performance alternative to a "tuner" or "chip" for diesels >

High Performance alternative to a "tuner" or "chip" for diesels

Notices

High Performance alternative to a "tuner" or "chip" for diesels

Old 03-13-2006, 01:16 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default High Performance alternative to a "tuner" or "chip" for diesels

I came across some info on this company today. It makes sense to me about diesels and how the chips and tuners are not that good for your diesels longevity. Here's a link to the website...read it and tell me what you guys think. I live close to this company, so I will check them out this week and get some more info

http://www.morepowerlessfuel.com
Old 03-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: High Performance alternative to a "tuner" or "chip" for diesels

I have heard of this one. I had already bought a Banks kit, it works well miliage improved about 2mpg. I still don't have the low end tourque that I am wanting. MY last Ford had the 7.3 and this 6.0 is short on the low end. I might also memtion that I have a standard trany so it make starting a load a little hard sometimes. Slipping the clutch to let bost pick up is the only way. Curious as to this ones ability to do this.. Will wait for your assesment..
Old 03-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I sure would like to hear some facts from a consumer, less of a sales pitch. Doug
Old 03-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Registered

I checked them out. It seems that a head engineer from GM retired and is the brains of this system. For some models, the truck takes a replacement cable for this upgrade...depends on the vehicle.

I have a 2005 GMC (Duramax/Allison combo) and there is NO wire to add onto your truck. You go into the engine compartment and remove a "chip" that the manufacturer installed in the truck and you overnight it to them....they make some mods and overnight it back to you. Downtime is 3 days on your truck.

When said and done, dealers will never know you have done this. They will have no idea you did anything to the truck and therefore will not void your warranty. They said they have purposely sent trucks into dealers to find a problem/run tests and they never know it's there. I think he said for the Dodge and Ford, it's a cable--he said that the Duramax is a very sofisticated motor.

I spoke to the owner, he said you will not see any black smoke and should see like 20% improvement in mileage!! That's pretty damm good. I think I will try it out.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:59 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so no more power, just moves the power lower in the rpm range?... i will keep my controller and alot more power everywhere... i guess its another option out there for diesels which is always a good thing...
Old 03-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean H
so no more power, just moves the power lower in the rpm range?... i will keep my controller and alot more power everywhere... i guess its another option out there for diesels which is always a good thing...
Sean,
What this company is saying is that their power comes on earlier and is more useable. They also said that the chips and programmers peak power comes on at like 2,800-3,200 rpm...when a diesel is maxing rpm's. Most of the time your truck shifts before that, so you aren't using the power to the full potential.

I am going to try it since they give you a 60 day trial period if you don't like it. From doing a little research-- if you are using a programmer/chip, etc.... you are dumping more fuel into your motor. Yes, it's making more power, but you are using (wasting) fuel also and therefore reducing the engine life of your motor. These are facts.

Last edited by Semper Fi; 03-15-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I emailed them, and immediately received a call back from Jan. She was very knowledgeable and friendly. Their device is friendly to use with other traditional diesel hop ups like intake, exhaust, and you can use other diesel (fuel dumping) tuners with this product as well. I may give it a shot as well.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-15-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Gerard, check this out:

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...=1#Post2828536

http://forgotton.net/mods/indexframe.html

Gotta love TDS!
Old 03-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Thanks! I read those links. Problem is, who is going to solder the piece? Are they going to give you a 2 yr warranty? I personally wouldn't mess with this myself.
I am coming to realize that I am more concerened with my engine's "well being", most people just want the extra power...they don't care that these chips/tuners will take some life off your motor.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:17 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the less money, i rather have a controller that installs in less than an hour, makes more power, is adjustable plus gives me boost, rpm, and egt gauges plus defueling options to help the tranny out on shifts... all for less money than sending off a part of my truck, being down for 3 days, putting it back together and getting a little better low end power..

most controllers already do what you are wanting to do plus more... does it take life off the engine? probably, most power making options do, so its now a 200k-250k engine instead of 300k.. most of us won't keep the trucks that long anyway (plus the engines will outlast the trucks bolted to them anway)

i am not for sure, but i bet if i run on stage 1 (fuel mileage setting) of my edge, it is doing exactly what this thing does.... plus i get the rest of the benefits of the controller... just my .02 cents, i like the power too much too worry about the other stuff.....

Quick Reply: High Performance alternative to a "tuner" or "chip" for diesels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.