Notices

Excursion advice needed!

Old 04-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Excursion advice needed!

I have an Excursion 4x4 Diesel. It has all the performance stuff so it has plenty of power. It has a 6" lift and 38" tires. It tows like crap. Is there anything I can do to make this truck tow my new boat and trailer without swaying every time a Volkswagen passes. I know they have all kinds of sway bars, air bags and other things but is there anything that will make this a good hauler. I have been kicking around getting an F650 or similar but I hate to do it. I would only use one of those trucks for hauling the boat. The Excursion I like to drive once a week. I already have so many vehicles, i really don't have room for a hauler and the Excursion. Any advice??
Attached Thumbnails Excursion advice needed!-new-black-excursion-004.jpg   Excursion advice needed!-new-black-excursion-006.jpg   Excursion advice needed!-new-black-excursion-007.jpg  

Old 04-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Excursion advice needed!

Is the boat positioned on the trailer correct and is the height of the ball to high or low? I understand that relationship matters a great deal...
Old 04-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It's tows great with duellys. It is on the trailer correct. I'm sure if the truck wasn't lifted it would be better. I would still think there is a way of correcting the swaying.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

If you have installed air bags already, then there is not a lot you are able to do to remedy the "swaying" problem. I have an Excursion set up very similar to yours. When I pass semis on the Interstate mine definitely sways (when towing).

The length is what I believe to be the culprit. I had a CC SWB Super Duty with the exact same lift as my Excursion and it towed MUCH better. Even though the difference in length was not that much, it made a BIG difference.

Sam
Old 04-06-2006, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's too high to really trailer anything well. I have 35's on mine with hellwig bars front & rear plus Firestone bags- Tows way better than it did stock. I used the Ford S/D springs up front and blocks in the rear. Towing over 7,500 lbs and it's really not got the kind of lateral stability that a regular Superduty will have and nothing near what a dually will give you.

You also need to be very careful about the load ratings of your tires and especially your wheels. Most of the 8-170 wheels out there are rated less than the stock Ford wheel- some by alot. There are lots of stories about breakage out there.

You'd be astonished how inexpensively you can pick up a decent medium duty truck and how often you'll use it. I ended up with a bunch of new friends as a result!
Old 04-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Registered

G, I was going to lift my Ex 4 inches and was told by the shop to NOT do it. They are a big place that specializes in horse/cattle haulers & trailers and they basically told me the closer to the ground, the better.

How you feeling by the way?
Old 04-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by masher44
...the closer to the ground, the better...
For towing purposes, absolutely.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Registered

Well if it was me I would lower the truck 2-3 inchs. It looks like you could keep the same tires and wheels ( as long as the load range is right ) and lower the truck a little.

I perfer for myself anyway not as much fender well showing unless its and offroad truck and you need the room for wheel travel.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by masher44
G, I was going to lift my Ex 4 inches and was told by the shop to NOT do it. They are a big place that specializes in horse/cattle haulers & trailers and they basically told me the closer to the ground, the better.

What I did was basically use the pieces right from a Superduty. I ended up with Superduty height and Superduty towing stability. If you like the way an SD tows, you'd like mine.

By the way- I struggled with every possible solution to get the Ex to stop wandering on the highway. Six different sets of tires, shocks, bars, you name it. The SD parts instantly eliminated the problems. An "old guy" in a spring shop explained the problem. Seems that to get the ride height lower on the Ex, Ford used a negative curve front spring- they arch upwards slightly. It was easier and less expensive to use the SD stuff with that minor change rather than re-engineering the vehicle from scratch. Whatever caused it-- it's gone.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Registered

what kind of lift do you have on the EX?

Quick Reply: Excursion advice needed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.