Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Why Should I Buy a Myco? Are Drums Better in Salt? >

Why Should I Buy a Myco? Are Drums Better in Salt?

Notices

Why Should I Buy a Myco? Are Drums Better in Salt?

Old 03-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Should I Buy a Myco? Are Drums Better in Salt?

I am in the process of trying to put together a deal on a boat for use in salt water. If it all comes together, I will need a trailer. I have been reading about 100 threads about trailers and everyone automatically says "buy a Myco"....but I haven't heard a single reason to not buy a Nextrail, Load Rite, Sportline, Allison, South Florida, etc., etc., etc. All these trailers offer aluminum constuction with stainless hardware, disc or drum brakes, surge or electric over hydraulic brakes, torsion axles, etc. Has anyone had a real reason to not buy something other than a Myco? Has the frame of your Load Rite broken in half and dumped your boat in the middle of the road? I was also told by one of the trailer companies mentioned above that they have had major problems with disc brakes in a salt water environment and they actually recommend drums with a fresh water flush. Any suggestions? If money were no object, I'd have a Myco, but can anyone give me a real reason to not buy something else?
Old 03-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Registered

Default Re: Why Should I Buy a Myco? Are Drums Better in Salt?

Purchased an ACE trailer from Terry in Tampa, and have had nothing but great things to say about both the trailer and Terry. I trailered from DC to Fort Lauderdale and back with no issues what so ever. The trailer tracks great and brakes good . Oh the boat is a 42 Sonic......Good luck in your search....
Old 03-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...I would buy a nice float on aluminum trailer...I have all mycos and would rather have the other...there lighter..it is not like your taking the trailer off road...I would rather have disc...I do not like it when you can not see any of the breaks...at least you can get a peek at the discs.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:30 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

My boat was trailored up last summer on a myco, turned out to have a crack in the solid aluminum trailer!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Registered

I have an aluminum slide on trailer made by Owens and Sons here in St. Pete Florida and very happy with it. I disagree with the guy with the drum brakes theory, Kodiak sells an all stainless disk kit that is very nice...have had it for 2 years and works perfect. Only mild steel parts are the show backing plates an they are super common GM pads that you can buy everywhere for like 12 dollars. No way can you flush the salt out of of drums well enough to last.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Registered

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:54 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Four years on my disc/surge brakes had to replace the pads and a problem with the backup/lock-out solenoid. Otherwise discs beats the hell out of drum electric or hydraulic brakes for reliability. I have had both.

Bolt together aluminium trailers work well. A buddy had his built with triple independent torsion suspension, seems to give the boat a very good ride. It is 3 years old now and haven't had any problems.

I think the biggest issues I see with any trailer is how and where the bunk boards are placed and mounted. The other is how much tongue weight.

It takes time to get these things right and if I buy another trailer I want to be there when these things are done
Old 03-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Prestige trailers have great customer service and are priced well. Most formulas come with them
Old 03-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

It's pretty easy and low-buck to add an additional pair of bunks to an aluminum "bolt together" trailer. I had a triple Nextrail for 6 years and was very happy with it!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Registered

I have an ACE aluminum under my 288,, besides the idot dealer not setting it up correctly for a stepped hull I like it. I was also willing to spend the extra money for Disk brakes but was advised against it. The torsion axles are well worth it,, less bounce and a much better ride..