Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   What is the height of the hitch off the ground? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/140393-what-height-hitch-off-ground.html)

Tony Montana 09-13-2006 12:12 PM

What is the height of the hitch off the ground?

Just wanted to get an idea of an average or range of the height of your trailer? Trying to figure how much of a drop hitch I am going to need. If you could either measure the trailer level or the ball height on you truck. Thanks :drink:

buck183 09-13-2006 12:17 PM

Re: What is the height of the hitch off the ground?

Joe,

We use 18" to the top of the ball as an avergage here at the shop. All trailers are different. But this usually gets us in the ballpark for our customers if they don't have something for us to go by.

Buck

Tony Montana 09-13-2006 12:51 PM

Thanks Buck. I called Myco and they said about 27"?? Don't Know :confused:

Sydwayz 09-13-2006 12:54 PM

Its really tough to say. Every truck is different, and every trailer is different depending on the weight loaded, axle and suspension config, and tongue weight. Each truck is going to squat differently too; which also changes depending on the load in the truck bed. If you can get an adjustable model that suits your weights, that's your best buy, BUT a solid mount is more sound. You are going to end up with a bit of trial and error for the perfect setup with a fixed mount, so perhaps towing the boat to a trailer shop that has a bunch of heights in stock is a good way to try them out.

JPD Motorsports 09-13-2006 03:24 PM

18-20 to top of ball will get you close to where you need.

buck183 09-13-2006 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Montana
Thanks Buck. I called Myco and they said about 27"?? Don't Know :confused:

WOW! Maybe their trailers are taller than average. While I can easily say all trailers are different depending on a lot of things, I can also say I've never seen one that high before.

Looks like JPD is confirming my thoughts too.

Who knows???

scottc 09-13-2006 07:17 PM

Most trailers are @18". The more or less you go will change tounge weight also. (to a point anyway) For that most trailer or hitch shops have a gauge to measure that.

Tony Montana 09-13-2006 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by buck183
WOW! Maybe their trailers are taller than average. While I can easily say all trailers are different depending on a lot of things, I can also say I've never seen one that high before.

Looks like JPD is confirming my thoughts too.

Who knows???

Yea I thought it sounded kind of high too.

Sydwayz what is the height on your trailer or your ball height on the truck. Thanks

Sydwayz 09-13-2006 10:52 PM

Its raining out and the truck is sitting on a hil. I will measure it tomorrow.

Downtown42 09-14-2006 12:06 PM

ground to top of ball is 32". My hitch is flipped, no drop, goes up.

Dodge 2500 with air bags at 95#. Measured w/o trailer hooked up.