Notices

SRW vs DRW

Old 10-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRW vs DRW

I currently have a '01 F350 crew cab SRW. Will this be comfortable in front of a 38' Top Gun?? I know the DRW will be better but will the SRW handle the load on long distance hauls. Im talking handling as Im not worried about power. The twin turboed cummins under the hood should do the job.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2006, 07:42 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SRW vs DRW

Originally Posted by clc900
I currently have a '01 F350 crew cab SRW. Will this be comfortable in front of a 38' Top Gun?? I know the DRW will be better but will the SRW handle the load on long distance hauls. Im talking handling as Im not worried about power. The twin turboed cummins under the hood should do the job.

Thanks!
you have a cummins under the hood of your 01 F350?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
you have a cummins under the hood of your 01 F350?
I guess that's better than the infamous "cummings".
Old 10-30-2006, 07:37 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by clc900

Thanks!
Did you transplant a Cummins into your Ford?

Is your SRW truck a longbed? This will help with towing stability. Obviously the DRW is a better for towing, but the SRW is normally OK. I would suggest at least 8-9" wide wheels, E-load rated tires (should already have them), and Air Bag rear suspsension assist. Firestone ane AirLift make nice systems for your truck.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Registered

Yeah I transplanted a 12 valve cummins and a NV5600 into my F350. Its not a cummings but it does have an extra turbo that gets me down the road just fine thank you.

Anyways, BOT...it is a short box so the wheelbase isnt as long as it could be. Im sure guys do it all the time but I dont want to worry about how its going down the freeway on a windy day. If its risky then I might just check into doing a DRW conversion since I already have the powerplant that I want. Any other opinions??

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Registered

i've been wondering the same thing. is there much difference between the two (drw/srw) when towing a sizeable boat? is it worth extra hassle of a dually? how much extra towing capacity does it give you?
Old 10-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Legally, per the manufacturer specs, most models are rated to tow MORE with the SRW over the DRW due to the lesser amount of weight of the truck itself, and the less amount of rotating mass (adapters and wheels).

However, having towed with a bunch of different trucks; there is no way I would change back to a SRW over my DRW. I miss my old truck, a 2500 GM, but I not as much as I love driving the dually.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A DRW F350 isn't enough truck for pulling a Topgun on the highway. it may squeak in under the max tow weight rating and you'll be OK in 95% of your driving situations. Where you'll have issue is when something goes wrong- an unexpected stop sign, some a$$hole cutting you off, and those things that "just happen".

I had the misfortune of finding this out firsthand with this exact combination.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:02 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Chris, sorry to here about your misfortune... So, what do you suggest for a tow rig for a 38?
Old 10-31-2006, 07:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by J.B. Marshall
Chris, sorry to here about your misfortune... So, what do you suggest for a tow rig for a 38?
I bought a Freightliner. 85K/mi on it- put a 16' flat steel bed on it and a small boom crane. Have under $20K in it. Pulls the Apache like it's not back there (exaggeration, but compared to the F350 that's close).

My accident wouldn't have happened with a big truck- some idiot came across a median on a wet road and hit the side of the trailer. Just enough to get me off the berm. Unfortunately the boat whipped over and the berm sloped down. Boat pulled the truck off and we rolled down the embankment. I've had some close calls with the FL (and some attention lapses on my part) and the big truck has saved my a$$ more than once.

I have a buddy who just bought a nice Int'l 4400 ambulance. Has the 466 motor and an Allison. He's filling all the red-light holes but it has white spots on the 3 sides and back. Tons of storage in those outside lockers. In the back there will be 4 pedestal seats and a flat-screen. Another good low-buck, multi-use tow vehicle.

Too many people look attow ratings and assume they'll be OK. Those are only rating the mechanical capability to pull the load. They don't take into acount the panic stop/lane change/other unforseeable things that happen ALL THE TIME.

Plus, rarely do I see boats sufficiently strapped down. Stopping your rig isn't helpful if the boat keeps going.

Quick Reply: SRW vs DRW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.