Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/145817-why-does-one-jack-up-their-truck.html)

wompom1 11-24-2006 11:09 AM

WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck?

help me with this.
I don't understand and I am into super hi-performance. It would seam to me that the mfg has put alot of research in the ride height of the trucks for balance and center of gravity so why would one change the dynamics and engineering to a more unstable ride? I could bet that many of those who 'lift' up their trucks don't go 4wheel'n, so what is the deal.
Additionally using a lifted truck in many cases reduces the safety of towing a boat-wtf?
With this said a friends father of mine had a stock height Carrerra4 and was hit head on by a lifted truck and let me tell you, the liability that the lifted truck owner incured was almost criminal-he lost his house to the attorney fees trying to defend why he lifted the truck that caused bodily injuries to my friends father.
My 14 year old stays that chicks dig it but I would think that chick wouldn't dig you too much when you loose all your money to a some lawyer.

Teach me wise-ones :cool:
Flame-on :evilb:

articfriends 11-24-2006 12:05 PM

Re: WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck?

When I was a teenager we jacked our trucks up (if they were 4wd) and put the biggest tires we could afford on and went thru the deepest,nastiest mud pits,ruts,swamp,water etc. If course we wrecked parts non-stop and got stuck constantly :D . As far as trailer queen/show trucks that don't EVER go off road I think its retarded. Rarely do they have the proper brakes and right gearing to even pull their tires in o/d and the ride is terrible.I seen a ford dually that was lifted so high it had at least 44's under it,the guy was STRUGGLING to pull a 4 place snowmobile trailer thru the snow (the bigger tires float on top and have no bite). This thing looked like the hood was 8 feet off the ground with 4 foot under the front bumper. It is still considered the cool thing to do in my area though as we have several 4 wd clubs and some of these guys do actually go off road. As far as liability,you are very correct,most insurance companys if you read the policy completely will say they are not liable for vehicles modified for racing,off road competiton,unsafely altered or altered substantialy from stock. I think that means if a guy has 33's and a few components to lift truck slightly he would be o/k but some wieny with a 12 inch lift kit,2" body lift with 44's is SCREWED when truck spins out and rolls over killing the passengers and some old women heading to bingo. I'm not against four wheeling,I had a jeep with 39.5 super swamper boggers,I didn't drive it on the road though because it was built for mud and used accordingly. I do get quite a bit of work from guys who burn out there transmissions on lifted trucks without enough axle gearing though so lift em to the moon,Smitty

Chris Sunkin 11-24-2006 01:04 PM

Why?

For the same reason they buy sports cars and fancy boats. Small wieners. ;)

Son of a Gun 11-24-2006 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by TRICK
I think people raise their trucks for the same reason they put $50,000 paint jobs on their boats and build insane HP.

Because it's what makes them happy. ;)

Agreed. If people wanna spend the money to do it, and that's what they enjoy, the more power to 'em.

DRIPPINWETII 11-24-2006 01:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by wompom1
help me with this.
I don't understand and I am into super hi-performance. It would seam to me that the mfg has put alot of research in the ride height of the trucks for balance and center of gravity so why would one change the dynamics and engineering to a more unstable ride? I could bet that many of those who 'lift' up their trucks don't go 4wheel'n, so what is the deal.
Additionally using a lifted truck in many cases reduces the safety of towing a boat-wtf?
With this said a friends father of mine had a stock height Carrerra4 and was hit head on by a lifted truck and let me tell you, the liability that the lifted truck owner incured was almost criminal-he lost his house to the attorney fees trying to defend why he lifted the truck that caused bodily injuries to my friends father.
My 14 year old stays that chicks dig it but I would think that chick wouldn't dig you too much when you loose all your money to a some lawyer.

Teach me wise-ones :cool:
Flame-on :evilb:

It can make a huge difference in appearance of the vehicle.
Here is my 90 bronco with a 3" lift and 33" tires.

buck183 11-24-2006 02:33 PM

Simple....

So I can make a living.

Why do people buy the product or service you are behind? :D Same difference. ;)

Buck

BobbyB 11-24-2006 03:06 PM

It looks so cool :cool: :cool:

Tony Montana 11-24-2006 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you have to ask then..............you just wouldn't UNDERSTAND! :rolleyes: :drink:

Racegirl3 11-24-2006 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with your son ... cuz chicks dig it :cool:

My high school ride .... and ya .. it saw lots of mud :drink:

Wardey 11-24-2006 04:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's my high school ride and my current ride. Small weiner.....I don't think so , just always loved Big Trucks !!! :drink: Dave