Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   Brake controllers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/146130-brake-controllers.html)

OldSchool 11-29-2006 10:34 AM

Brake controllers

Question for the masses. My trailer has electric over hydraulic brakes on it. I have a Hayes/Lemmertz (sp) Endeavor controller in my truck (Chevy 2500 Duramax/allison....no air bags :D ).

The other night I got a phone call from one of my neighbors and they said that my lights were on. I went out and sure enough, the brake lights were on. The display on the controller had a code of "sf" which common sense told me meant system failure!! :rolleyes: My brake lights wouldn't go out until I unplugged the connector from under the dash! I went to the local rv place and they gave me another one and said that it's pretty common for these Hayes Endeavors to go bad. The new one works....but about the same as the old one. The brakes work fine, but the "oc" code (which means open circuit) always flashes after applying the brakes. It just bugs the chit out of me!!!!!!

What brand brand of controller have you people who are running electric/hyd. trailer brakes had good luck with?

Thanks in advance,
Craig

docmanrich37 11-29-2006 10:45 AM

Re: Brake controllers

I have the reese brakeman digital.Works great.Just don't get the brakebox on the trailer wet or you'll see how good your brakes really do work at the ramp.I back the trailer down the ramp for the first time when Myco delivered the trailer to me so i could put the boat on for the first time and the box was under water.Couldn't move the truck at all.Unplugged the battery from the breaks so i could pull the boat and trailer out.

eliminatethis 11-29-2006 11:13 AM

there are 2 diff. harness plugs for the controller to fuse panel if the wrong harness is used it will do what you have said yours is doing you can change the pin poss. in the harness to take care of it just use a meter not a test light

scottc 11-29-2006 11:14 AM

I sell the Draw-Tite Activator II #5500 and have no complaints. Works on up to 8 brakes on electric only. And all ele/hyd systems I have found so far. Some brake controlers have been know to not work will all systems or have load issues.

Good luck with your system.

eliminatethis 11-29-2006 11:20 AM

you did not say what year your truck is the problem i found was when you used a older harnes (2000-2004) on a newer GM

OldSchool 11-29-2006 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by eliminatethis
you did not say what year your truck is the problem i found was when you used a older harnes (2000-2004) on a newer GM

It's a 2005. I used the harness that came with the truck.

docmanrich37 11-29-2006 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by OldSchool
It's a 2005. I used the harness that came with the truck.

Call Mark @ Outlaw Motorsports he did mine when i went to the XDR hitch.540-829-0300

OldSchool 11-29-2006 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by docmanrich37
Call Mark @ Outlaw Motorsports he did mine when i went to the XDR hitch.540-829-0300

Did you get the airbags and the W/D hitch bars as well?

Drink beer Rich, get off of the Kool-Aid!!! :p :drink: :evilb: :drink: :evilb:

docmanrich37 11-29-2006 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Did you get the airbags and the W/D hitch bars as well?

Drink beer Rich, get off of the Kool-Aid!!! :p :drink: :evilb: :drink: :evilb:

No Bags yet and no bars except the ones in K.W. :evilb: :evilb:

wrinkleface 11-29-2006 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by scottc
I sell the Draw-Tite Activator II #5500 and have no complaints. Works on up to 8 brakes on electric only. And all ele/hyd systems I have found so far. Some brake controlers have been know to not work will all systems or have load issues.

Good luck with your system.

I use the DTII. Have used it w/ 2 dif brake actuaters and it has worked great! Good luck!